Buy patterns to save for later?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 255
Sarathatch posted on Thu, Mar 6 2014 4:51 PM

Hi

I'm a beginner at applique. I have found several applique quilt patterns that I love, but I don't have the skill level (or the time) right now to make the patterns I like. 

Should I buy the patterns and save them for later? 

In the old days, patterns would go out of print, but I don't know if that would happen now in our digital age. The patterns I like are from designers who are selling their patterns on their own websites.

Is it smart or dumb to buy a pattern just to save for later?

Thanks!

Sara

• | Post Points: 140

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
251 Posts
Points 3,240

I used to keep my patterns in file folders in file cabinet drawers.  I also cut out quilts I really liked out of magazines, put the pictures and directions in sleeves and filed them into notebooks.  Pretty soon I needed too many file drawers and shelves to hold the notebooks.  Now in this modern day of technology, I am scanning patterns, magazine pages, etc. and filing them on CD's to be viewed on my computer.  It is so easy to store a 6" circle.  Whenever I want to view my patterns, I pull out the appropriate CD, pop it in my laptop and view away. 

Barbara

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,734 Posts
Points 30,075

I think we are all in agreement about buying the pattern now.  ... I've loved hearing how ya'll organize your patterns and would love to hear more. Barabara, when do you find time to scan them? I think that's a wonderful idea! I love them all. I just need to do it!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (17 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use