Buy patterns to save for later?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 255
Sarathatch posted on Thu, Mar 6 2014 4:51 PM

Hi

I'm a beginner at applique. I have found several applique quilt patterns that I love, but I don't have the skill level (or the time) right now to make the patterns I like. 

Should I buy the patterns and save them for later? 

In the old days, patterns would go out of print, but I don't know if that would happen now in our digital age. The patterns I like are from designers who are selling their patterns on their own websites.

Is it smart or dumb to buy a pattern just to save for later?

Thanks!

Sara

• | Post Points: 140

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
130 Posts
Points 2,005

Welcome.  Speaking from personal experience, if you are serious about learning the skills, buy the patterns, and gain the skills.  The patterns may or may not be available when you "catch up"...  Websites don't always stick around, designers don't always keep their patterns available, and book runs aren't always up to the demand and budgets may not allow reprinting.  Your tastes may change and a book or books or patterns may end up in your possession that you don't ever use, but that's better than the frustration of not being able to find something you saw and really want...

stitcheraz

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
726 Posts
Points 14,145

Welcome to QCA, Sara!  Buy the patterns you like. You can work on them a little at a time and learn as you go.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,877 Posts
Points 32,585

I agree with the other comments; however, I want to add.... "Remember where you put them!"

Start a notebook now of ideas and things you learned. Keep everything there and you'll be glad you did later. If you use a 3-ring binder, you can put your patterns in sheet protectors and have them there for inspiration.

I'd also start now drawing and writing on 4-inch grid paper to make designing easier later on.

Have Fun! (That's the most important advice I can give you!)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Fri, Mar 7 2014 10:01 AM

Oh yes, buy them now.  Just having them on hand will give you motivation to try something different and more difficult than you are used to.

Also, how disappointed would you be if you tried to find them later and could not locate them. 

I have stockpiled quite a few cool patterns I know will take me years to attempt.  But I am so looking forward to picking them up "one of these days" and giving it a try.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Fri, Mar 7 2014 11:00 AM

Definitely buy them.  You will gain the skill as you go, so don't get discouraged.    And they do go out of print, not often, but it does happen.

Not Ranked
Female
10 Posts
Points 115
Bev replied on Sat, Mar 8 2014 12:35 AM

You should definitely buy them when you see them.   

Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,280

Hi Sara,

Welcome and  Roxana took the words right out of my keyboard.  Remembering were you put the pattern is important.

Marianne

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
693 Posts
Points 13,210

I put all the patterns I pull off the internet or order, in notebooks that are labeled for the types of quilts in them.  ex: Baby quilts, appliqué quilts, scrap quilts, ect. If they are download patterns, I put them in folders on the computer, then label the folders, the same as the notebooks.  I enjoy looking thru the notebooks, when I'm planning a new quilt.  I also take patterns in quilt magazines in the notebooks, instead of leaving in the magazines and not knowing where "that quilt" was when I was looking a few months. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Not Ranked
Female
34 Posts
Points 695

May I add my welcome as well.  I agree with what has been posted - buy what you really like, save the free ones, and organize them.  There is wonderful inspiration in reviewing all your patterns.  But I have also found that when the world gets to be too much, browsing and dreaming through your patterns is like your own personal retreat.  There is always beauty in the world of quilting.

Kathy 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,592 Posts
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Sat, Mar 8 2014 9:01 PM

Welcome Sara

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,144 Posts
Points 14,810
Dawn replied on Sun, Mar 9 2014 7:32 AM

Welcome to QCA!!!  Enjoy the site and the quilters!!

Not Ranked
Female
1 Posts
Points 5
Debra replied on Sun, Mar 9 2014 9:20 AM

Hi Sara,

I agree with everyone else, buy the pattern if you really like it.  More than likely it won't be available when you are ready to make it.  I just ordered a Zig Zag Table Runner Pattern from Fons & Porter but have no clue when I will make it.  What fun it will be to go through all your patterns when you are looking for a new project to work on.

Debra

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,461 Posts
Points 416,734
gini replied on Sun, Mar 9 2014 6:12 PM

hi sara, welcome to the group.   buy it now, you may not be able to get it later,   but put it in a safe spot so you can find it when you need it.   :  )

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,782 Posts
Points 122,490

gini:
but put it in a safe spot so you can find it when you need it.   :  )

Un Hun, a safe place. I do that. I must have dozens of patterns in safe places. So safe I can't find them or forget I have them!  So I'm in the process of organizing a new system. I was using notebooks but they got full, were the wrong size for some things, were awkward to use and take up way too much room in our small home. I tended to shove things on a shelf or the bookcase. Now I have one of those rolling file carts. Found a box of hanging folders at a garage sale along with a pile of new file folders. I'm organizing the pattern packets, printed patterns and papers into the cart with labels. It slides under my work counter and is easy to pull out and go through. Will see how that works.

Books, like Sylvia's Bridal Sampler, I have the spine sliced off at the stationery store and 3-hole punched and put in a small binder. Easier if I want to take a page out to make a copy of the template or paper piecing pattern. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use