Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 255
Sarathatch Posted: Thu, Mar 6 2014 4:45 PM

Hi 

I am a beginning quilter. I made one pieced quilt in high school and now, in my thirties, I have renewed my interest in quilting. 

I am beginning to learn about applique and I love the patterns I have seen. I'm not sure where to start, as far as learning to applique. There are so many methods of applique. . . I'm not sure which one to try first.

Does anyone have any thoughts about how to go about learning applique? 

Does anyone know of any good applique tutorials online?

Thanks!

Sara

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Fri, Mar 7 2014 1:20 AM

Hi Sara, welcome to the group.   There are so many methods of appliqué I don't know where to start.   First you need to decide if you want to do it by mrahine or hand

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 310
Points 4,690

Nice to meet you Sara and welcome.

I'm  new to quilting myself.  I started early last year. I started small with pot holder, hot pads, place mats and table runner.  I just finished my first queen size quilt.  It's sewn, but it needs to be quilted.  I can try to post a picture.  If I had started with that  quilt, I would have given up. To make the corners in the white meet was a challenge.

I did applique by bonding the  applique to my project and than came a blanket stitch.  That was a project I found in the quilting magazine.  It's a winter skinny  with a candle in the middle.  I made three and gave them as Christmas gifts.  I forgot to take pictures.   Marianne

Marianne

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 391
Points 5,260

Welcome, Sara

There are many methods of appliqueing.  I might frequent your local quilt shop book rack to find a good book that offers multiple applique methods.  Or, find a book that concentrates on one method and start there.

I have been working on applique for decades and have hundreds of patterns.  As I have progressed in my purchasing patterns path, I find I now try to purchase patterns that I really think I may never find again.  I very seldom purchase flower bouquets, arrangements, etc. because as I have learned I have discovered that I enjoy arranging my own flowers.  I also have eliminated a lot of the "fad" patterns - things that will be here today and gone tomorrow.  I really prefer to buy books with large projects.  This gives me the patterns that I can use in a number of different settings, but the patterns are already drawn for me to rearrange (yep, I'm lazy).

Have you checked out the applique group on QCA?

Barbara

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 450
BarbC replied on Fri, Mar 7 2014 7:51 AM

Hi Sara

I find Craftsy, Leah Day and the Quilters Cache helpful when learning new techniques and for inspiration.  Here are some links for you to check out.  I find that I learn best using a variety of video and instruction so the best for  you will be dependent on your learning style.

http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQuiltingPages/startquiltingfour.html

http://www.craftsy.com/class/piece-patch-quilt-quiltmaking-skills/369?_ct=sbqii-sqjuweho-qbb&_ctp=369,3

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/2010/08/machine-applique.html

Happy quilting.

Barb

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 875
Points 15,030

Hi Sara, I agree with all!   I will add one more site that is helpful that's UTube, great videos on how to applique no matter which technique you chose, or if you try them all.  Welcome !!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,694
Points 179,533
Marie replied on Fri, Mar 7 2014 5:46 PM

Hi Sara, welcome!  Glad you've joined us.  I'm excited for you being a beginning quilter, you have so many beautiful memories ahead of you, enjoy making them.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,694
Points 179,533
Marie replied on Fri, Mar 7 2014 5:49 PM

Marianne, lovely first quilt!  Congratulations!  

Millbury, MA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 310
Points 4,690

Thank you Marie,

I watched a YouTube on Missouri Star called Periwinkle.   It looked easy enough for a beginner.

Marianne

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use