Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 435
Cherron Posted: Thu, Feb 27 2014 2:52 PM

Hello, I am so excited to be here among other newbies as well as seasoned veterans of the world of quilting. I just finished my first quilt "Carpenters Star" by taking a class at the local community college, and I loved it! I am retiring May 1, and I am looking forward to beginning my new adventure. I am hoping to make a little extra income to support my retirement, make heirlooms for my family, and make decorations for my own home.

I live in Southern Illinois. My husband and I will have our 40th anniversary March 1. We have two sons, 4 grandkids, and one fur baby, a Havanese. We also have four Rocky Mountain horses, but we are going to have to sell the horses.

I am open to all help and suggestions on how to thoroughly envelop myself in my new adventure.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 640
Points 9,640
MaggieNae replied on Thu, Feb 27 2014 3:53 PM

Welcome Cherron, take a look at the photo Gallery.  You'll find lots of inspiration there as well as in the Groups section and the Free Patterns section.  Don't forget to keep us updated on your projects and show your work.  We'd love to see your very first quilt.

Margaret

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Thu, Feb 27 2014 4:31 PM

Welcome Cherron.  Just give a shout if you need help!  We were all beginners once.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 193
Points 3,285
hhhdmh replied on Thu, Feb 27 2014 5:16 PM

Hi Cherron, I am Darlene I am from Southern Indiana. Where in Southern Illinois do you live? I am close to Evansville and Princeton.

God Bless

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 347
Points 4,680

Welcome, Cherron

I have been quilting for a loooong time but each time a new technique or system comes along, it is like being a newbie again.  Quilting for me is always an adventure.  You'll get all the help you ask for here among these generous quilters.

Congrats on your upcoming anniversary and its nice to know another horse person - I have 17!

Barbara

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 608
Points 9,680
Joyce replied on Thu, Feb 27 2014 6:44 PM

Hi Cherron welcome.  Happy Anniversary my husband and I will celebrate 45 years in June.  I have 6 DGC and 1 DS and 1 DD.  I have quilted off and on for years but need more experience.  I'm currently trying to learn machine quilting on my home machine.  Maybe one day it will look decent.  Gave my ds a quilt for Christmas and he said I don't give myself enough credit.  Guess we are our own worst critic.  Have fun look forward to seeing your quilt.

Joyce

from Maryland

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 435
Cherron replied on Thu, Feb 27 2014 9:11 PM

Hi Darlene, I am further south than you. I am south of Carbondale.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 435
Cherron replied on Thu, Feb 27 2014 9:21 PM

Hey Barbara, do you ride? What kind of horses do you have? I did train but now I have medical problems that limit me to what I can do. My oldest son has 11 quarter horses. He doesn't want to take my horses to finish the training. Thanks for responding to my post.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,295
Sherry replied on Thu, Feb 27 2014 10:32 PM

Hello Cherron and welcome! This is a wonderful place! I tend to lurk more than share, but everyone is super friendly and inspirational.i have a friend in Anna, where are you?

Sherry

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 306
Points 4,625

Hello Cherron,

welcome and nice meeting you.  We're also retired and we started to do patchwork  last year. I can't take classes due to my allergy to man made chemicals. That includes all "good smells".  I learned by watching YouTube  and reading patterns.  We have one German  Shepherd dog and on mini Poodle.   4 grown children and 7 Grandkids.  We celebrated our 49 wedding anniversary last December.

I don't know about earning anything from our new hobby.  I have started to practice hand quilting.  Oh my, I don't know if I live long enough to hand quilt a king size quilt and the queen size I just finished sewing.    We had the king size machine quilted and it cost almost $200,-..  I just pre paid for the queen size and it doesn't  cost much less.

I can manage table runner on my sewing machine and that's about it.  I started out with pot holders, hot pads, placemats and table runners.

We live in North Florida, close to Tallahassee and the GA state line.

Marianne

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 347
Points 4,680

Good morning

I used to ride.  I had started my own paint horse business, but had to get a job in town so things sort of fell apart in my horse business.  With a full time job I didn't have time to do as much training as was needed with new foals.  Now they are mostly pets - too many pets, but I can't seem to let them go.  I lost my stallion a couple of years ago to cancer, so I don't do any breeding now.  My specialty was ground training in preparation to ride training, which I did a limited amount of because I had a great trainer to teach riding.

Now I seem to be concentrating on quilting.  I just finished creating my dream sewing room and spending most of my time there.

Have a great day

Barbara

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,607
Points 178,453
Marie replied on Fri, Feb 28 2014 3:13 PM

Hi and welcome Cherron.  Congrats on your 40th wedding anniversary and your upcoming retirement.  Looking forward to getting to know you and seeing pics of your quilts, enjoy.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 275

Hi Cherron,  I'm also new here and feel the same as you about quilting.  I also have played with the thought of making a little money from my quilting, but haven't a clue as to how to go about it.  Since I'm so new, I haven't read very many of the posts yet, but plan on reading a lot and learning.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,494
gini replied on Sun, Mar 2 2014 2:08 PM

Him heron, welcome to the group.   Congrats on you upcoming retirement

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 435
Cherron replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 1:16 PM

Hi Sherry, it is nice to meet you. I live between Carbondale and Anna just off of old Route 51. Do you ever visit your friend in Anna?

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use