rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy Posted: Sat, Feb 22 2014 2:28 PM

Hello all,

been a while so thought I'd drop in. The winter has not been the best but it could have been much worse.  November brought me to the dr. to be fitted for knee braces to help with the constant pain.  They helped a lot but decided to get bilateral injections in both of them the first part of December. Why I didn't get them sooner is beyond me. The relief they gave me was unbelieveable!  Farmers stubbornness I guess.  

My dad, who is 82, suffered from low blood sugar right before Christmas.  He has diabetes and congestive heart failure also. Spent three days before the holidays in the hospital and then we moved him to the home for rehab. Got to feeling better and he decided he wanted to come home so he did.  Was there a month and decided to go back as he couldn't take care of himself remembering his meds and me and my 3 sisters just couldn't continue to care for him.  Moved him to the nursing home this last MOnday and on Thursday he had to have his pacemaker replaced as his battery was going bad. Through all this, I found that God chose me to work outside on a farm and take care of business situations, not to be a nurse. Thank goodness my one sister is an LPN and the other two worked in nursing homes for 30+ years.  They were fabulous with him!  He still thinks he'll be coming home but that unfortunately isn't in the cards.

I am looking forward to some sewing time to keep my head from whirling now! Wish me luck! 

Happy Quilting everyone!        Tammy

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Sat, Feb 22 2014 2:45 PM

Hope the spring is kinder to you.  Here in southern California it seems winter never came.  My prayers with you and your dad.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 869
Points 14,795
Candis replied on Sat, Feb 22 2014 4:16 PM

Tammy, I do wish you luck! Prayers to you and your family.  Hopefully spring will occur soon! I am with Flo, winter never appeared in Central California either!  We need rain so bad, the poor farmers are begging for water, this will affect everyone in the United States!  High produce prices for sure!   Hope you can find some peace in quilting, I know it keeps me sane!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Sat, Feb 22 2014 5:46 PM

I am in the San Bernardino Mountains.  My husband and I own a small tool store up here.  We purchased  $ 40,000 (retail value) of snow chains and toys.  Now we have to sit on them for another year and hope next year is better.  Oh well, I may get my herbs in the ground soon though!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 695
Kathy D replied on Sat, Feb 22 2014 8:31 PM

I live about as far north as you can get in Wisconsin.  Schools have been closed 8 different days due to extreme cold and excessive amounts of snow.  Right now there are snow banks nearly 5 feet high just outside my backdoor -and I live in a city.  We had to add a 15 foot extension to the dog's outside lead so she can get around the snow banks.  Wish we could send you some of our snow so your inventory would be decreased.  Please think of us as you plant your herbs.  The only thing green around here is the fabric  I'm cutting.  Good thing is that there isn't much to do except quilt while waiting for the plows.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,273
Points 173,308
Marie replied on Sun, Feb 23 2014 9:46 AM

Tammy, thoughts and prayers coming your way.  (((((HUGS)))))

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Sun, Feb 23 2014 4:09 PM

Here in the Reno, NV area we could use the rain and/or snow also.  I think we've had a total of about 2-1/2' this year (don't know why they measure from July 1 to Jun 30) , and almost 2 inches of that was on the 4th of July.  This is our 3rd year of drought...lakes are so low, but not as bad as California I think because we are used to no water.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,460
Points 361,947
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 24 2014 11:51 PM

Tammy I'm happy your knees are doing better. I hope things continue to improve for you. Thanks for checking in.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Tue, Feb 25 2014 1:58 PM

Hey!  WE may be getting our first snow storm of the winter this weekend..YEAH!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 449
Points 8,560
Jan replied on Tue, Feb 25 2014 2:50 PM

Flo,

Where are ya? It is lake effecting all over the place here. I'll be happy to just blow a bit back your way. Ready. . .

W H O O O O O S H

Hope that helps. :)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Tue, Feb 25 2014 4:23 PM

I am up in the San Bernardino mountains in Big Bear.  I am at the 7000 foot level  a few miles from the ski slopes.  The lake is about 5 feet low already, so even if we get only rain and no snow it will be welcomed.  But snow is better!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Tue, Feb 25 2014 6:20 PM

Marie:

Tammy, thoughts and prayers coming your way.  (((((HUGS)))))

Thanks bunches!  Dad is doing so much better this week!  Hard to believe a little mechanical device can make him feel so much better!  Thank God for technology!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Tue, Feb 25 2014 6:21 PM

Thank you Kris!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,560
ls2116 replied on Wed, Feb 26 2014 9:13 PM

Tammy my thoughts are with you.  Many a time i looked to the good people to help me have the endurance to make it through last year when my family was helping my FIL at times the only thing that helped was this site being able to let go and at the same time be inspired to make a ton of quilts to ease the mind  I hope this makes some kind of sense i'm ramblin on.

Quilting My Rainbow

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use