I am new to Quilting and want to try Quilt As You Go

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 720
Pamela (ThePamster) posted on Tue, Feb 18 2014 5:11 PM

Can anyone give me some tips, tutorials or point me to some How To videos on the subject? I have only ever made two raggy quilts and loved the process, so from what I know of the Quilting As You Go process it's a little like the rag quilting style I fell hard for. Thanks for your help and advice! I have a vintage machine, a Necchi Supernova, I love it, it sailed through the denim and flannel I used for my raggy quilts! 

Proud Owner of a Necchi Supernova BU, it sews magnificently! ♥

• | Post Points: 95

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Not Ranked
Female
15 Posts
Points 455
Verified by Pamela (ThePamster)

Hi Pamela!

I'm Latasha and I am also a new quilter. Have you check out Youtube? Youtube has tons of videos of Quilt as you Go process. I will post a the here http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=quilt+as+you+go&sm=3 . I hope this helps.

• | Post Points: 55

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
15 Posts
Points 455
Verified by Pamela (ThePamster)

Hi Pamela!

I'm Latasha and I am also a new quilter. Have you check out Youtube? Youtube has tons of videos of Quilt as you Go process. I will post a the here http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=quilt+as+you+go&sm=3 . I hope this helps.

• | Post Points: 55
Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 720

Thanks Latasha! I've seen a number of the available youtube videos out there, but I am sure there's more then I checked out. Appreciate the link!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,280

Pamela,

I have learned all about quilting on YouTtube.  this is my favorite site https://www.missouriquiltco.com/   Miss Jenny is really good and it's free.  I watched the Periwinkle tutorial and I made it in Queen size.  I need to put on the side strips and have it quilted.

Marianne

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
2,769 Posts
Points 39,135
ls2116 replied on Thu, Feb 20 2014 8:54 AM

I'm not sure but there must also be a book available on the quilt as you go technique.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 220

I'm a newbie too. I found instruction on the web. Just search for Maureen Cracknell handmade. She has a tutorial. Step by step it really helped me. Hope this helps

Top 500 Contributor
Female
264 Posts
Points 3,425

Welcome, Pamela

I have made several "quilt as you go" quilts using products from Prairie Sky Quilting (www.prairieskyquilting.com).  They have instructions, templates and patterns for quilt as you go from beginner to more advanced.  You might check out their products for information.  It is easy and fast and I love that the quilt is finished when the blocks are.  Have fun!

Barbara

Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 720

Thank you for the suggestion on looking up Maureen Cracknell's tutorial, very useful! Thank you all for the encouragement too, that's priceless. :) Will post pics as I get stages done. Should be cutting on it maybe tomorrow or this weekend. :D

I have watched Jenny Doan's Quilt as you Go tutorial, but what I was aiming for is more like the one Maureen Cracknell made. I haven't made a strip quilt yet. ;) Just to share it in case others are reading this is the first tutorial I found on this topic and I thought it worth sharing: http://anessentialife.blogspot.com/2009/05/quilt-as-you-go-tutorial-by-dominique.html

Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,280

Pamela,

I have learned about quilting by watching YouTube.  My favorite is the Missouri star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubaCTtzKfR0&list=PLD5EF21A981F69C28

but there are so many tutorials.  Sewing with Nancy etc. 

Marianne

Top 500 Contributor
Female
119 Posts
Points 2,225

Hi Pamela,

I am newer to quilting too and the first quilt I  ever did was a California King size quilt-as-you-go quilt measuring 125 x 125. It was done on a little $75.00 Brother machine from Wal-mart. I made blocks and attached them with sashing. I learned the method on YouTube from the gourmet quilter. E very one is right - you can find and learn just about anything on YouTube!!! Good luck and have fun!!!!

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 720

I did a second test quilt using the youtube videos I've seen, I saw Gourmet Quilter's one, nearly did it that way, but I didn't trust my abilities with keeping a consistent 1/4" seam allowance. At any rate here is it,, the second test quilt I've done, this is in the size I am going to be working with the last one was 2" smaller of squares, these were 12" for the backing/self binding squares, and 10" for the finished block size. Hope you like it and hope it shows

:

Thank you ALL for the kind words and encouragement, I admit I found myself asking, "Am I in over my head?" more than one time while working on this today. But I think it's going to be fine, so all's going to work out with it. :D Once I got over my fear and got INTO the zone so to speak it was fun. :D

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,428 Posts
Points 416,059
gini replied on Fri, Mar 14 2014 10:30 PM

It looks great.   Remember, our ancestors made quilts from the back of a wagon out  of old clothes rusty needles and thread the size of a small rope

This isn't rocket science.  Your quilts and quilting only need to make you happy.  Relax and enjoy yourself.  The perfect seams will come with practice, or not, as long as you are having fun it's all good

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 720

Thanks Gini! I am going to be kinder to myself as I do this project I think because of how well my rag quilts came out I just want so badly for this new style of quilting (to me it's new-LOL) to work out well as I put a lot of effort into planning and researching it. That the second test quilt looks as good as it does is VERY encouraging! :D

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sat, Mar 15 2014 9:58 AM

Enjoy the learning process Pamela, and take photos of your projects.  You will be amazed at how fast you progress.  From the looks of it you are off to a very good start! 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 720

Thanks Patti! That's so kind of you to say! I am really enjoying the process so much, this is my third quilt, and my first Quilt as you Go style one. I have to iron and starch the other Star Wars fabric, then cut it, and the black backing too, and I'll be set to sew! I have a picture of my progress from today so far too! 

Here is one rag quilt I did, I forget if I was ever able to share pics of my quilts, I don't think I was, but this is mine, it's denim with leopard print flannel from Fabric.com and I LOVE it so much! 

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use