Top 10 Posters

A quick and easy way to make appliqués

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 205

I have tried the fusible method, the only thing I didn't like was that it made the appliqué very stiff, and I like the depth that using the sew together and flip is it adds a little depth to the appliqués. But anything that makes it easier is a good thing! I have learned to LOVE appliqué instead of dreading all the steps and ironing all those little seams! Happy Quilting friends! 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,053
Points 170,013
Marie replied on Tue, Feb 18 2014 9:45 PM

Lorilynn, your heart quilt is beautiful!  I was taught your method of applique using non woven fusible web.  Great method!  Although with your muslin tip it would have more dimension.  Will have to try it with the muslin. 

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,038
Points 108,680
chocake2 replied on Wed, Feb 19 2014 9:39 AM

The trick with the fusible method is to use the lightest interfacing you can find. I like to recycle used drier sheets for the same method. They work as well as the muslin and they're escentially free...plus they smell good! LOL

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,121
Points 110,715

Flo, I've used this method at times and like the look although I don't have good luck with it for little things like small leaves and circles. For those I resort to raw edge or needle turn.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Fri, Feb 21 2014 8:18 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:
I don't have good luck with it for little things like small leaves and circles. For those I resort to raw edge or needle turn.

That's what I was wondering, Judy.  How could this ever work for the more intricate patterns like a Baltimore Album?  

Great job on the hearts quilt!  I can see this would be a better technique  for quilts that will get heavy use and laundering than doing fusible raw edge.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
LisaD1965 replied on Fri, Feb 21 2014 10:31 AM

That is a great idea, I've also heard of using used dryer sheets in the same manner.....i've never tried it, but seems like a great way to recycle!

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use