A quick and easy way to make appliqués

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 205
Lorilynn7663 Posted: Sat, Feb 15 2014 8:47 PM

When I am planning on doing a quilt with appliqué, I cut out my shapes with a 1/4 in seam allowance. Then I cut plain muslin in the same shape and seam allowance. I put the shape facing in against the muslin, I see around the entire edge. Then I cut a 1/2 in or so slit in the back of the muslin and flip the appliqué I right side out. Iron and you're ready to sew the appliqués without worrying about the seams and they are much sturdier than just cutting out and ironing a seam allowance. Makes it much easier and also more fun. This top has made me much more adventurous with adding appliqués. I just hand sew them on using the seam of the muslin and the appliqué 

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,379
Points 24,090
Roxana replied on Sat, Feb 15 2014 10:31 PM

Lorilynn,

Thanks for sharing the tip. I love it! And welcome to QCA!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 84
Points 1,265

Thanks for sharing this great tip Lorilynn.  I will try that soon. I would love to see  a picture of your top.

Marianne

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,162
Points 15,470
Susan replied on Sun, Feb 16 2014 8:46 AM

Lorilynn, Thanks for the tip ! I would like to see a pic, too.    Susan

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 205

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 205

I posted one of my favorite appliqué tops, the hearts are all done using the muslin tip I shared. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,574
Points 36,060
ls2116 replied on Sun, Feb 16 2014 11:45 PM

heart appliques look great. and i love the quilting.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 40
Daisy replied on Mon, Feb 17 2014 12:28 AM

Lorilynn,

I haven't  tried appliqueing (SP) yet but that sounds like a great idea.  No tiny edges to turn under and try to stitch down.  I have just started learning how to do Hexie's and I started with 2" so I could get a handle on that large size before I tried smaller.  I am making a Grandmother's Flower Garden in a queen size so have a long way to go yet.  Thanks, Daisy

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 84
Points 1,265

Lorilynn,

WOW, that is a great looking quilt.  I love your quilt with the applique.  Thanks for sharing.

Marianne

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,371
Points 48,735
Ginny replied on Mon, Feb 17 2014 7:21 AM

Lorilynn, your quilt is so pretty and the appliqued heart on it are great with the way you appliqued them on.   Ginny

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 205

Thanks so much, this was the first quilt that I did with the tip I shared, I used a cookie cutter for the heart shape and having the muslin behind the shape also gives it a little more depth I think

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 7,440
Joyce replied on Mon, Feb 17 2014 6:44 PM

Hi Lorilynn your heart quilt is so pretty.  I'm working on a heart quilt for my DGD and appliqued the hearts by the turn edges method.  I would like to try this method on something.  Nice job.

Joyce

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 205

Thanks so much, it really makes a HUGE difference to not have to iron all the edges under. So it's actually quicker too once you try it. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 167
Points 2,145
Flo replied on Tue, Feb 18 2014 10:29 AM

I use fusible lightweight interfacing in the same manner.  Works like a charm.  Just remember the bumpy side is the right side, so sew right sides together, then snip in the middle and turn.  The great thing is you can fuse it to your project as a basting method.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 535
Points 9,320
zoetc49 replied on Tue, Feb 18 2014 11:44 AM

That is a great idea, I had not thought about using the fusible interfacing. I will try to remember, bumpy =glue ( right side)

Flo:

I use fusible lightweight interfacing in the same manner.  Works like a charm.  Just remember the bumpy side is the right side, so sew right sides together, then snip in the middle and turn.  The great thing is you can fuse it to your project as a basting method.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use