Need suggestions on quilt lining up print

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 634
Points 10,945
zoetc49 Posted: Fri, Feb 14 2014 12:04 AM

I am working on a simple quilt really, I took some stain glass cross fabric and enlarged one of the designs and made a panel. Now I am putting the smaller stainless fabric around this and then I will attach a boarder and call it good to go. This is for a friend and this is what she wanted. The issue I am finding is trying to match the print  up perfectly. 

I took some pictures, and it does not look like lining it up will work after all. I need some suggestions on what I can do to complete this. Thanks

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Fri, Feb 14 2014 5:59 AM

add some black or a contrasting color bordering the large cross to make it fit with the smaller crosses.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Fri, Feb 14 2014 9:20 AM

Yes, add a black sashing strip around the panel and extend it up through the crosses print to the edge of the quilt. So your print border will be pieced with rectangles on each side of the panel, and squares in the corner with sashing between all the pieces. You could finish it all with a black skinny border the same size as the sashing strip if you liked.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Fri, Feb 14 2014 10:20 AM

I like the way it lines up along the bottom as pictured.  I assume you can do the same for the top?  What about turning the fabric on the sides so that the crosses are horizontal on the sides?  I assume this part will hang off the edge of a bed?  I think it would look really pretty with the crosses facing sideways at the side edge.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 634
Points 10,945
zoetc49 replied on Fri, Feb 14 2014 11:11 AM

Jacy and Patti,

I saw a quilt done like your suggesting and I think this would do the trick, thank you for verifying that this would look good.  I will post pictures when I get this done. 

Jenia, your idea would work except that this is going to be a queen size and I am not sure that would look right, it would if it was a twin. But I will look at this again. Thank you for your great idea too. 

Jacy:

Yes, add a black sashing strip around the panel and extend it up through the crosses print to the edge of the quilt. So your print border will be pieced with rectangles on each side of the panel, and squares in the corner with sashing between all the pieces. You could finish it all with a black skinny border the same size as the sashing strip if you liked.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use