Not Pin Moors but they work

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 140
Grannyto8boys Posted: Wed, Feb 5 2014 8:21 PM

I really wanted to use those Pinmoors, but they cost so much.  I found some substitutes in my grandsons math box.  They are called base ten rods.  They are made from some cushiony but firm material.  They are much smaller too which I find helpful because those big ones got in my way (tried a friends).

I used the single cubes  but found them a bit too small so I cut the base ten rods into longer pieces and they work great to pin baste quilts.  I have used one set for several months and have only found one so far that a pin won't stick in anymore.

I buy them at a store where you buy learning devices for kids.  Didn't know if I could mention store here and not sure if I should have said the name of the product I found the sub for.  Please let me know.

Try them.  They work for me.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 10:44 AM

Thanks for the tip Grannyto8boys!

I think it would be a great idea to at least mention the name of the product...that way people can look it up on-line to see what it looks like.  

Also, many of us do not have educational learning stores nearby and online shopping would be our only option.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 11:10 AM

... or post a picture so we can go looking for the product ourselves.  Thanks for the tip!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 140

I wasn't real sure how to post the pic, so I made a gallery.  My computer is satellite internet and very slow, so i only uploaded one pic but put more info on the gallery page.  Hope you find it and it works for you.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 140

I don't know if I did it right but put a pic in my gallery.  They are called Base Ten rods.  They are a math manipulative tool.  Just search Base Ten rods but don't get the plastic or wood ones by accident.  Only buy the green foam ones.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 140

I uploaded a pic on my gallery (I think).  Search for "Base Ten Rods".  They are green a foam style.  Don't get the wooden or plastic ones by mistake.  I searched and found them all over the place from $3.99 to over $20.00.  My store here only sells the plastic ones now. : C

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Feb 11 2014 7:03 AM

Granny, we are not ignoring you.  It is impossible to get to the personal galleries the way the QCA website is acting these days.  The timer is spinning away again this morning when I tried.  Sorry.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Tue, Feb 11 2014 12:36 PM

Granny,

I can't get to your gallery either, (ERROR message trying to access it) but will try again. Thanks for the tip....

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,556
Points 51,395
Ginny replied on Tue, Feb 11 2014 12:44 PM

I got into Granny's gallery post just by clicking on the general gallery section and paged back a page or so , and wha-la, there it was.     Ginny

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 140

So sorry.  I thought I was replying separately to each of you.  I didn't mean to fill up the page. LOL.  I can't get to the gallery either and I couldn't post a pic here either.  So, just search for "Base Ten Rods" and you will find them.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use