This post has 34 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,785
Jenia Posted: Wed, Feb 5 2014 4:56 PM

Hello all

My premium membership is due in March.  

I'm fairly new to quilting (4 years) and just 1 year member here, so I don't know you all very well; however I do feel that great friendships could be made here and I would definitely treasure that deeply.   You are all such a caring group, and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here.

I understand everyone's frustration with access to the site and customer service. 

Personally the only things I use here are chatting with you all here; looking at the show and tell, and reading and participating in blogs, I also really enjoy the monthly magazine when it comes in the mail.

It seems that I'm lucky to have received my discount card for JoAnne's but rarely use it.  I have never used the online tv stuff. 

While I would love to participate with the groups I feel I'm too much of a beginner (not to mention extremely slow hand quilter) to start using groups right now.

Someday I would really love to meet you all at a retreat, I just don't have the time now since I work full time and only get a limited number of vacation days to visit family and friends strewn across the country.

So, if you were me...would you renew? 

I would love to support the website (I see great potential here) and participate in the "supposedly" up and coming new and improved version, but with so many people complaining (not to mention the accounting of it all from which was explained in great detail on another thread) I wonder if I should just spend my money on a quilting magazine subscription (or two) for the upcoming year and just watch as things progress (or don't) here.

So here's an informal poll...if you were me would you renew?

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,824
Points 352,502
Kris replied on Wed, Feb 5 2014 5:43 PM

Jenia, many members do not have premium memberships. Perhaps you can use the site for free until you think it's worth paying for again.

I don't think I will choose a premium membership when my current one expires. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 535
Points 9,320
zoetc49 replied on Wed, Feb 5 2014 6:38 PM

Jenia,

I have never had a paid membership. If I were you, I would not renew ..buy the magazine on your own and still come here doing what you enjoy most- talking to us : )

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 518
Points 10,535

When I first learned of this site, I joined with a premium membership. At that time I didn't know participation was possible without paying for membership. I never once watched any of the videos and rarely used the Joann's discount card. I almost always have a coupon for Joann's. I liked the magazine but I subscribe to a lot of others so I'm OK without it. So, anyway, like many others here, I totally enjoy reading the forum posts and looking at the Show and Tell, and I do that without paying the membership fees. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,305
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Wed, Feb 5 2014 8:49 PM

Jenia -

I'm like you, my renewal is due in March but I'm torn on whether I will renew.  I got my card on time, I use Joanne's all the time and even though you have a coupon, you can still use the membership 10% discount on top of that.  I've used up to 5 coupons plus 10% on everything before.  

I never watch the videos, have some from Crafty I've purchased and still haven't watched.

I am going to the Branson retreat, I need a break from work so bad right now and the price is right. I've also been at my work for almost 19 years so I get alot of leave but I can see your point about how you use your leave. 

Jenia:
While I would love to participate with the groups I feel I'm too much of a beginner (not to mention extremely slow hand quilter) to start using groups right now.
honey, don't let that stop you.  I felt the same way but it's a good way to learn and everyone is very patient and helpful.

will I renew - probably so, because I do see where maybe it will get better, just like you said and it's probably still cheaper that two magazine subscriptons.   

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 434
Points 6,955
Mz M replied on Wed, Feb 5 2014 9:28 PM

Hello Jenia - like you I am new to quilting 3 maybe 4 years. I work at a very stressful job so quilting and this site are my therapy. I have learned TONS just by reading on this site and have joined the Batik Fat Quarter Exchange and the Oriental Fat Quarter Exchange that were awesome because you have the opportunity to obtain fabrics that are otherwise inaccessible. The Secret Santa group is also loads of fun - guess I have been quilting for just over three years cause I joined the site shortly after I made my first quilt and this will be my 4th Secret Santa in 2014. They get better every year. I'm not much for chit chat as I don't have much free time but I do read and learn lots from these ladies I consider experts.

I get all the quilting magazines when they hit the stand, for the patterns, but, in my opinion, this site is worth more in experiential information than the magazines. so...

If I were 'me' I would renew - I just did last month and am not sorry!

Mz M

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,979
gini replied on Wed, Feb 5 2014 9:39 PM

jenia. I don't have an opinion on whether or not you should renew,  but groups is a great place for beginners,  you learn so much by participating.  for instance the dear jane group,  several of us are hand piecing this.  if you run into a problem,  there are several folks that can help. if you run into a hard block, set it aside and work on the others til you get more confident.

gini in north idaho

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,785
Jenia replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 10:41 AM

Gosh, thank you all for such a great selection of thoughts and advise. 

I'm still torn...I really do want to support this great site, but so many have begun the little protest by not renewing.  I will likely pay, just in hopes that the website never goes away.  Having such a great selection of people to chat with is the most important thing.  I hope they never close up shop and just stop offering the site altogether, that would be dreadful.

I am encouraged to look at the groups again, thank you all for the welcome wagon.  I knew in my heart that you all would be forgiving of my newbie ways, but I'm still so unsure of myself in the sharing of my work.

For example so many of you have done such awesome work in the quilts given to group members suffering from one illness or setback or another. I would love to offer some contribution to those as well.  But I don't feel confident in my  work to have my block sitting next to something made with such expertise that mine would be in shame.

I will likely renew,  just to not upset the workings behind what they are hopefully doing behind the scenes to make it better.  I'm sure the QCA budget does depend even just a little on our memberships; if paying helps them make it better, then I will give my support.  I guess I consider it a donation to making the community better.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 535
Points 9,320
zoetc49 replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 11:17 AM

Jenia, 

Sites like this make money from the "traffic", so you don't need to worry about it going away. If they are not making money ( or enough ) and make everyone pay , and they have a great product ( no more computer issues) then again, it will not go away.  Right now they are trying I will give them that, but they are still not offering a great product...they will get there. I often say, " don't reward bad behavior".

Best of luck with what you decide to do.   

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 168
Points 2,165
Flo replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 11:46 AM

I chose not to renew my premium membership.  JoAnn's has flat out refused my discount card even when I am not using coupons.  I have trouble logging in and half the time I didn't receive my magazine.  I will scan the site occasionally but not like I used to.  I have been a member for 4 years.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 7,440
Joyce replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 12:34 PM

Hi everyone & Jenia,  I just renewed my membership and received my new card.  I use my JoAnne's card a lot every little bit helps.  I think it probably pays for my membership.  

I need to learn how to use more of the groups.  I have done a couple of swaps and enjoyed that but sometimes time gets in the way there plus my lack of confidence on not being good enough.  But just this week I signed up to send in a block for 2 different ladies that the group is making quilts for.  I just mailed one to Candis and have the other one ready.  Had to wait for the site to come up so I could get the address for that one.  I hope you enjoy the site Jenia.  I like you aren't able to to go the retreats which I would love to do but keep thinking maybe one day.

Joyce

from Maryland

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 7,440
Joyce replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 12:37 PM

Flo I wonder why JoAnn's refused your discount card.  That is awful.  So far I haven't had any problems.  Now my local one only discounts things that are not on sale or I don't use a coupon.  One in Ohio took the discount off everything.  Which is what I feel they should do.  You should write to JoAnns headquarters and find out why they refused your card.

Joyce

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 645
Points 16,310

I've never been a paid member.  I participate in groups, swaps, secret Santa, the discussions, and will be going to a retreat at the end of this month.  No one has ever said I need to be a paid member to participate in the above activities.  The closest JoAnn's is over a three hour drive, so that part is useless to me.  I did subscribe last year to the  Quilting TV for $12.00, but I rarely watched anything, so didn't renew.  Most sites support themselves by advertising, so I think this one does as well.  I do click through the ads on here if they look interesting,  so I feel I help support the site that way.   If I were a paid member, I'd be very angry with the owners of this site as it works less than half the time these days.  Which is a real shame. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,372
Points 48,740
Ginny replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 1:23 PM

Flo,  I found that you have to show your QCA membership card and then Joann's issues you a 10% Joann's discount card to use.  Is that what you did?  If not, go to the returns desk at Joann's and tell them you want your discount card.  Like many here, I find if I used a Joann's discount coupon, then they won't let me also use my discount card, but sometimes I forget to take my coupons or have used them for another product I bought and they will take the discount off then.   I hope this helps you.   Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 2:31 PM

Ginny if you forget your coupons you can get the joann app on phone and cashier will redeem coupon thru phone.

Quilting My Rainbow

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use