Thread Suggestions!!!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 155
Tammy posted on Tue, Feb 4 2014 11:12 AM

Hello, I am VERY new to quilting.  Love it!!!!  Just trying to teach myself how to.  I am making a quilt now and just wondering, what is a good thread that would blend in with all the multi-colored blocks on the top of my quilt when putting all the layers together?  I have the thread in the bobbin to match the back but wanting something that will blend with all the different colors.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! 

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
900 Posts
Points 17,025

Either a thread that matches the main color or background color of your quilt would be nice. There are also a lot of variegated threads. Take a look at the Reference Guides on the Superior Threads web site.  They have guides for both domestic and longarm machines for choosing the right thread for your quilt.  They also have all the threads displayed so you can choose the colors you like. Something else in their reference guides is a way to enter all the colors you want in your thread and they'll display all the threads that have those colors. It's the guide called "Variegated Thread Finder."

http://www.superiorthreads.com/reference-guides/

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,690 Posts
Points 248,772
Thea replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 5:21 PM

Tammy, I recommend using cotton - 100% cotton threads for quilting and I use Aurifil - it has less fuzz in the bobbin and is a great thread.  

If I use a clear thread, I use Superiors - it is not nylon - I do not like nylon threads.  

You need to use the same weight in both the top and bobbin threads or you will have some problems with nests and getting your tensions correct - it can be done but I use both aurifil in top and bottom right now and they work for me.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use