Top 10 Posters

T-shirt stabilizer/fusible

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
8 Posts
Points 265
jackiegn posted on Sat, Feb 1 2014 3:46 AM

I would like to try my first t-shirt quilt and would like to ask what is the best/most recommended stabilizer/fusible material to use.  Thanks, Jackiegn

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Sat, Feb 1 2014 12:38 PM

A light weight fusible interfacing is best.  It stops the T-shirts from sagging as time goes by.  It takes a lot of it, so beware.  Fuse it down once you cut your  shirts into blocks, that will keep down on the waste.  I made my T-shirt 4 years ago and still no sagging.  Someone from my guild made one with so stabilizer and the sagging is so horrible it ruined the blocks.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,819 Posts
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Sat, Feb 1 2014 12:49 PM

I agree with Flo :-)  Lightweight.  I have been using Pellon's SF 101, All-purpose woven fusible interfacing.If you have a Joann's or Hancock Fabric, watch for sales or coupons to use, especially if you will be making a larger quilt or more than one t-shirt quilt. Have a press cloth handy as you will need it (dampened). A steam iron helps, too.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
2,911 Posts
Points 40,955

In addition to stabilizer or interfacing sewing on a knit I would use solvy on top to prevent holes from delicate knit fabric.  Just my oppinion, and i'm sure no pro.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

I recently checked the Pellon website with this exact question.  Their recommendation is their fusible interfacing 911 FF.  I was able to get it on sale at Joann's.  I haven't started my quilt yet, but I like the feel of this product.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Points 265

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I am cutting away years of treasured t-shirts and have now mounds of left over knit fabric.  Instead of tossing it all in the trash does anyone know what else can be done with it all?  

Thank you,

Jackiegn

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,479 Posts
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Mon, Feb 3 2014 7:58 AM

My DH uses all my older cotton towels, t-shirts, etc. as rags in his shop.  He does most of the mechanics on our cars when he can.  But they also make great dusters.  You probably have quite a lot of left overs so pick the best to keep and you could donate the rest to someone who makes shelter beds for animals.  They would make great stuffing.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,819 Posts
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Sat, Feb 8 2014 10:24 PM

Mimi just gave you the ideas I would have mentioned :-)   You could also use that leftover fabric in the border - just stabilize it, too. If there are enough leftovers, you could make a lap quilt for yourself or to donate to a shelter, etc. MIght be nice as a car quilt, too - something to keep you warm if you are stranded in a cold climate.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use