Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian Posted: Thu, Jan 30 2014 11:48 AM

I find I am more patient with my mistakes. I never notice anyone else's so I am easier on myself. Maybe it's just age and not having the energy to beat myself up anymore??!?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Thu, Jan 30 2014 12:45 PM

I'm a better person, not just quilter, because finally as I mature more I realize that the journey should be the fun part. I used to be like a driven woman in having to get another notch on the finished quilt belt. Now I am enjoying the getting there more than the final count. In other words, I have developed patience which like Vivian I believe is a result of getting older. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Thu, Jan 30 2014 12:58 PM

I am a better quilter now because I realize there is no right or wrong.  I do not fear the quilt police.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Thu, Jan 30 2014 1:41 PM

I don't think I'm any better of a quilter than I was when I started about 4 years ago.  I think my skills have improved somewhat simply from doing it... practice, practice, practice...with each and every quilt it's just more practice.  I don't think I will ever master the art, but I will keep on trying.

I'm a better person through quilting because I do have tons of patience (I'm a hand-piecer and hand-quilter), and I have the charity to give them away after all that work goes into them.  I feel proud to share the art and it makes me feel good. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,226
Points 16,495
Susan replied on Thu, Jan 30 2014 2:22 PM

I am a much better quilter than I was when I started four years ago. I have learned so much since then, and also, lots of patience. Ive slowed down and tried to enjoy the process of creating a work of art and beauty. It makes me laugh to think of some of my mistakes and how much there is to learn about sewing and quilting. I just completed a project that was started about three years ago, I was to intimidated to continue until I just made up my mind to "just do it"  so after getting some advice  and practicing on another quilt, it is all done and turned out beautifully .  That is really what  I like about quilting there is always something new to learn Just like life, its a never ending growth process. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Jan 30 2014 4:45 PM

Great discussion thread topic, Vivian!

I'm a better quilter because I'm developing a better eye for color and contrast, because my construction techniques (including the indispensible scant 1/4 inch seam) have improved with practice, because each quilt I complete builds my confidence, and because I strive to learn learn something new with every quilt I make!  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Thu, Jan 30 2014 6:03 PM

I started this thread because of that green quilt. I looked at the construction, unfortunately after I quilted it- and I have to say I am much better at sewing now.  I have a couple of "errors" that will have to be repaired by needle and thread   I obviously thought they were ok at the time or I never noticed them.  And then I got thinking, I don't mind fixing it. When I was younger, much younger, I would have pitched it in the corner 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,436
Points 38,440
Linda replied on Thu, Jan 30 2014 7:43 PM

Vivian, the Navajo say that the mistakes in a quilt allow for the evil spirits to escape.

I'm  a better quilter because I've learned so much over the 30+ years that I've been quilting, from all the quilters I've met all those years and seeing their work, going to retreats. meeting quilt designers that told me that they would not have attempted the Celtic quilt that I did completely by hand, gaining more confidence over the years. Then all of a sudden something came over me and I started designing scrappy quilts. I had a quilt show in October, the 12 quilts were being donated  and I designed about 5 of the quilts.  Two of them were Navajo designs and 3 were scrappy designs.

And, Vivian, most people don't even know they are mistakes. Sometimes I just cover them with an appliqued heart.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Thu, Jan 30 2014 8:46 PM

Someone suggested a button on the intersection points of the pinwheels. I may go with that. Designing quilts, how exciting!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,608
Points 27,090
Debbie replied on Thu, Jan 30 2014 9:47 PM

I am a better quilter now than I was a year ago because of all you ladies.  I have learned so much from the two round robins where I got to see other's work and because of the MQ's and just because of everyone's posts have helped me become a better quilter.  Thank you, one and all!!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

I believe I'm a better quilter and seamstress now since I've slowed down and really savor and enjoy the process. I've also found that I make less mistakes.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,226
Points 16,495
Susan replied on Fri, Jan 31 2014 4:24 AM

Linda:
Then all of a sudden something came over me and I started designing scrappy quilts
         And doing a beautiful job, too.           Linda, good to see you on QCA I have missed you !!! PM me if you get a chance.   Susan

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,530
Points 31,115
Diana replied on Fri, Jan 31 2014 6:39 AM

I'm a better quilter because of a lot of practice.  I've made tons of quilts.  I still have my first one that's over 15 years old.  I have a recent one and the difference is amazing.  It's fun to look back and see the improvement over the years.

Diana in East TN

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Fri, Jan 31 2014 9:15 AM

It's interesting that the overall theme is slow down and relax. There was a saying I heard some time ago. 

"The faster I go, the behinder I get" 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,855
Brenda replied on Fri, Jan 31 2014 10:34 AM

I use to give up on a project and not finish.  After reading and posting here I realize it takes lots of practice to become good and to just keep trying.  I love learning tricks and ideas from all of you.

Quilt, have fun, spend less time worrying if it is perfect.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use