Top 10 Posters

Help needed! Brother PQ1500S bobbin issue

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 220
mariann.dalton posted on Sun, Jan 26 2014 10:27 PM

I have had my machine for a few months now. I'm a beginning quilter. I am getting a nest of thread on the back of my binding. I am doing a baby size quilt in flannel. I realize I'm going through several layers but this machine is made for this. What I don't understand is that I can have on stretch of good stitching and all of a sudden-something goes wrong. 

I have rethreaded, changed the type and weight thread, rewound the bobbin, adjusted tension settings. Not sure what else to try. I have also read the owners manual on threading suggestive. But nothing changes. 

I'm positive it's a bobbin issue because I can sew so far and I hear clicking noise. Please help. I really enjoy quilting but am getting extremely aggravated. Thank you!

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,429 Posts
Points 416,079
gini replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 11:17 AM

A snarl on the bottom is usually a tension problem on the top and vice versa.

try changing the needle, make sure the bobbin is in the right direction. It is usually something simple, have you tried shutting the machine off,  then rethreading all?  Shutting off re calibrates it

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 11:17 AM

Mariann, take your machine into your dealer or contact the brother company.   Many of us advise others when choosing a machine to get one that has a dealer close so that when problems like these occur, you can get help.  Sometimes it is the machine, and as this is new it is probably under warranty.  

I also have the best result when I change my needle, and clean all the dust out of the bobbin area.  I even wipe around the place where the bobbin goes with a q-tip.  A few years ago, I got a new pfaff, and after many free repairs and adjustments, the company stated I had a lemon and they gave me a brand new machine, with new warranty.  This one does everything I tell her to.

Another thought.  When getting ready to quilt, do you pull the bobbin thread up though your quilt before starting to stitch? 

Hope you get a resolution soon.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,429 Posts
Points 416,079
gini replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 11:18 AM

Yep, cleaning the bobbin area really helps, my machine own,'to sew if it's too fuzzy there

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 220

Ladies thank you for your input. I called my dealer today and he told me the tension settings I should be using. Sure enough...once it found the sweet spot, I was flying again.  I was able to finish my project. 

Top 50 Contributor
2,770 Posts
Points 39,155
ls2116 replied on Tue, Jan 28 2014 9:01 AM

I have that machine and love it but when i have that problem it is usually because i put the bobbin in the wrong way.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, Jan 28 2014 9:09 AM

Fantastic Mariann.  It's so much fun when it works.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use