Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 869
Points 14,795
Candis Posted: Mon, Jan 20 2014 4:13 PM

Ok, If I wanted to give away my scraps what is the best way to do it? I want to clean out my storage bins and give my scraps to those that can use them. I have so much and it's just going to waste.!when someone could be making beautiful scrap quilts,  I don't really do that many scrappy quilts so I am asking, would the large flate rate boxes be good? If people want to pay for postage I would be willing to cram it as full as I can with quilt shop quality fabrics, I have never done this but have seen others on here that have, just don't remember how they did it, any help would be appreciated.  

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,736
Points 30,115
Roxana replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 4:26 PM

Before you mail them, is there a local quilt guild that might resale them as a way to make money? That's what I do with mine. I donate them to the local guild. ... It's just a thought.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 869
Points 14,795
Candis replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 4:32 PM

Thanks Roxana, my Guild is pretty big here, it has more than enough .  But I do donate to local schools they use my bigger pieces for home ec projects. Thanks

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 745

Check with your local chuch quilting groups.  They will accept fabric scraps for charity quilts.  My church groups receives donations of lovely fabric that we use for scrap quilts for cancer patients, veterans and shelters.  We love donated fabric.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 869
Points 14,795
Candis replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 4:54 PM

Good idea Adele, I will check around, thanks!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,308
Points 18,340
Erin replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 5:04 PM

Candis- I am a scrap junkie and I would willingly pay postage if you want to send some to me! Just let me know.

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 869
Points 14,795
Candis replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 5:29 PM

Erin sent you PM

MODESTO, CA.
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,809
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 5:38 PM

Smaller scraps can be used to stuff pet beds for local shelters, so if you know anyone who makes pet beds for shelters, you could give the smaller scraps to them.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 869
Points 14,795
Candis replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 5:41 PM

Eileen:

Smaller scraps can be used to stuff pet beds for local shelters, so if you know anyone who makes pet beds for shelters, you could give the smaller scraps to them.

Thanks Eileen, another great idea.  

MODESTO, CA.
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 50
Shari replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 8:43 PM

Hi Candis,

It is so nice of you to think of others when thinking of scraps and quilts.

The QFK - Quilts for Kids Foundation is always looking for fabric.  There may be a local chapter you could contact if you wanted the fabric to stay locally.  The fabric is made into quilts for kids in need in hospitals and such.

I would gladly pay for postage on boxes if you have any bright colored fabric as I am the President of our local QFK Chapter and I would definately put them to good use.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 869
Points 14,795
Candis replied on Tue, Jan 21 2014 12:29 AM

Hi Shari, I actually have and still do make quilts for kids, I have been doing that for years now. It is such a wonderful Charity!   I'm afraid my scraps wouldn't be enough . But I will defiantly look through all of them.  May I message you if I find the bright colored ones big enough to make a quilt?  Thank you for giving also!!

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 145
Points 2,585
Patricia4 replied on Tue, Jan 21 2014 2:31 AM

Hi Candis,

I am a new quilter and still building my stash, but scrappy quilts are my passion - I just love them!  By all means, if any charity can use your scraps, that is the best idea.  But if you are still looking for takers, I would be happy to pay postage.  The flat rate boxes would probably be easiest and best if you intend to ship the scraps out.  There are several sizes available, but the large size you mentioned is $16.85 postage at present.  The post office will even pick them up from your house, so that you don't have to carry them to the post office to mail.  You are very generous to want to donate your unused scraps, either to charity or other quilters.  I wish you the best in clearing out your storage to make space for what is more useful to you!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 50
Shari replied on Tue, Jan 21 2014 6:51 AM

Absolutely Candis!!  Thank you!

I make alot of Log Cabin Quilt Blocks for them so right down to the strips is good.

Take care!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use