rated by 0 users
This post has 33 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 2:48 PM

Hi Mary Jo,

I have a Designer 1 and have certainly learned my lesson buying cheap thread, along with the problems it causes. Although I haven't used Aurifill, I use Sulky and Guterman frequently and love them both, I have never had any problems with these threads. It's a good practice to clean your bobbin area frequently no matter what thread you use. You definitely get what you pay for with purchasing good quality thread.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 985
Points 17,309
Kathy D replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 3:28 PM

I love Superior Threads.  I use many of their products both for piecing and on the longarm.

Kathy

Calgary, Alberta

"Friendship is like a rose...opening one petal at a time only as it unfolds...day by day does it reveal its true beauty"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,560
Points 47,935

this forum has inspired me to order some Aurifil thread today. AND, I came home and cleaned lint out of the bobbin area. LOL! AND of course I had to oil it as well.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,028
Points 369,302
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 5:06 PM

Welcome to the group Mary.

I used Connecting Threads' Essential thread for machine piecing and noticed that is produces quite a bit of lint. I'm constantly cleaning my machine. I now use it mainly for hand piecing. I use Wonderfil thread now and I really like it. Haven't tried aurifil yet but I do have some ordered. I also used presencia, which my LQS sells, I loke the 60wt thread for hand work but it shreds easily.

American Patchwork & Quilting endorses Coats & Clark and they have a video about choosing the right thread. I think, like Thea said, coats and clark is trying to build up their reputation again.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 417,064
gini replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 6:24 PM

kris, doesn't coats and clark have a new line of thread out that is better quality?   i think i read about  it somewhere.   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 6:35 PM

Gini

Coats and Clark does have a new line of higher quality thread but it is in the same price line as Aurofil and some of the others.

Vinton, Virginia

• Filed under:
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 417,064
gini replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 6:45 PM

nana, have you tried it?  how does it compare?   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 335
Points 11,972

Boy, am I learning a lot from this thread about thread. I've been using the spools from Connecting Threads, and didn't know there were threads that wouldn't leave so much lint. I also thought the threads I bought for satin-stitch applique were too thin, but they are 40 wt. just like some of the quilting thread.

Do you all have any thoughts about 40 wt. vs. 50 wt. thread? For piecing and/or quilting. What about the heavier threads? Do you use the 60wt. bobbin thread?

Judy J.

Nambe, New Mexico

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,697
Points 248,562
Thea replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 6:52 PM

If I am going to use invisible thread - I only use Superior.  I have tried the different types and still love this one - it does a wonderful job and is the softest of the invisible threads that I have found.  it is a poly.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,028
Points 369,302
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 7:14 PM

Judy Johnson:

Do you all have any thoughts about 40 wt. vs. 50 wt. thread? For piecing and/or quilting. What about the heavier threads? Do you use the 60wt. bobbin thread?

Judy,

I've used 40wt for quilting. I find it just think enough to make a difference in seam allowance so I don't use it for piecing. I've used 60wt in the bobbin and on top but mostly I use 50wt thread.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,697
Points 248,562
Thea replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 7:17 PM

Judy, I use all 40 wt threads for piecing and quilting... there was a time when I tried using the 60 wt bobbin thread when I was quilting but I had a lot of problems with my tension - so after talking to the sewing machine tech and the sulky rep (although i don't use sulky for quilting) I found that they recommended using the same wt in the top as in the bobbin with the newer computerized machines...

I have used 12 wt threads for special things and have used specialty threads in my bobbin with great success... I do love bobbin work.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,028
Points 369,302
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 7:18 PM

gini:

kris, doesn't coats and clark have a new line of thread out that is better quality?   i think i read about  it somewhere.   gini

Gini,

I didn't know they had a new line of thread. I don't use this brand, never have, but I'm seeing them more and more lately.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 280

WOW!!!   Thanks for ALL the wonderful replies everyone!!!   And thanks for the welcome.  I still need to read the rest of the replies, but I think it is unanimous!!!   I have been using Gutterman but for some reason it is shedding itself in my needle.  I just changed it from a 75/11 to 90/14 so we shall see later this evening.

Again thank you all.   I have tons of Sulky Embroidery thread and some Gutterman.  I will finish this quilt with the Gutterman and then try that Aurifli.

Thanks again everyone for the warm warm welcome!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Mary Jo, I would use the Sulky for free motion quilting. I think it works well for that. For the piecing, though, as I said 247 times (joke!), I only use Aurifil.

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 10:07 PM

Mary Jo

If your thread is shredding in the needle you possibly using a needle that the eye is too small for the thread.  Sometimes you will also get a needle with a burr that will shred your thread.  If you are using the 50 wt Gutterman you will probably have better luck with the 90/14 needle as the eye is a little larger and it will make a slightly larger hole in the fabric so the thread doesn't rub so much.

Vinton, Virginia

• Filed under:
Page 2 of 3 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use