Top 10 Posters

Which would be the first best ruler should I buy?

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 340
Terry Posted: Fri, Jan 17 2014 9:37 AM

I am a beginner and have been collecting things I may  need to get started. I am nervously book marking hoarding threads,  needles and material and still think I am lacking something. My next purchase would be a ruler and a cutting board which would be the best? I can't wait to get started

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Fri, Jan 17 2014 9:59 AM

I think (personally) a 6 x24 or 6x12 ruler..  6 x 24 will allow you to cut the width of fabric (wof) when you are straightening the ends.  For squaring blocks a 6 inch square or what ever size works for the block you are making. Each block has to be cut square after sewing so you want to do that as easily as you can. You can start with a few basic rulers but rest assured, you will have a collection in no time!  Mats, get as big as you have room for and can afford. They are expensive. Never store leaning and never store in the hot sun. They will distort and you will cry. 

Hope this helps. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Fri, Jan 17 2014 10:02 AM

Oh, and take a class.  A good beginners class will teach you how to,use those lovely new tools and you will avoid a world of annoyance. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jan 17 2014 9:09 PM

I did start with a 6x24 ruler, but now that I have an 8x24, I use it the majority of the time.  Also, I highly recommend the Creative Grids brand.  It is easy to read the markings, and the ruler has "grippers" built right in that help prevent slippage while you're cutting.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,636
Points 52,400
Ginny replied on Fri, Jan 17 2014 9:22 PM

I am with you MNnancy, the ruler that I use the most is the 8x24". I have a 6x18', but always head for the larger one.  It seems easier to control and covers most of what I want.  Other than that, I like the 41/2'squareandthe12 1/2" square rulers.    Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Fri, Jan 17 2014 9:54 PM

I put grippers on my ruler and half the time I love them and the other I'm cursing because the ruler won't slide!! 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 390
Points 5,225

Welcome, Terry!

I also use an 8" x 24" ruler.  It is the first ruler I reach for when cutting.  It seems the majority of blocks I make are 12 1/2" square so I use my 12 1/2 " square ruler a great deal and I also use a 6 1/2" ruler for squaring up block units before stitching together.  It's smaller and easy to use.  I really like Fiskars mats.  They come in many colors and sizes - I use a light green one and a yellow one.  I started out with the Omnigrid dark green but find I have trouble seeing dark colors on it accurately.  Go to your local fabric or quilt stores and check out what they have.  Actually take a mat out of their stand up rake and lay it on a flat surface to really see if it is to your liking for size, color and surface markings.  They won't mind and you won't end up with something you don't like when you get it home.

Barbara

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Fri, Jan 17 2014 10:04 PM

Don't forget when buying a mat you will want to straighten the ends of your fabric.    if you buy bolt runs it will be folded in half coming off the bolt so to straighten it , it's great if the mat is 24 inches   

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Jan 18 2014 8:07 AM

Barbara in Colorado:
I really like Fiskars mats.  They come in many colors and sizes - I use a light green one and a yellow one.  I started out with the Omnigrid dark green but find I have trouble seeing dark colors on it accurately.

I've never thought of that.  I may have to look at a Fiskars next time I need a new mat.  Thanks!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 875
Points 15,030

Barbara, what a good idea! I am going to Joann's today and get a fishers mat! I have trouble seeing measurements on the dark also, Thanks for posting that!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 310
Points 4,690

Hi Terry,

I started patchwork  "quilting" last year.  The only advise I can give you is to start with a small project.  A large project for a beginner will be overwhelming. I went from potholder to placemats,  table runner to a small crib quilt.  I'm now working on a queen size quilt.  The only thing I have really mastered is the seam ripper. 

Marianne

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 417,079
gini replied on Fri, Jan 24 2014 7:35 AM

hi terry, welcome to the group.  creative grid rulers, I use my 8 x 24 the most,  we tend to make more twelve inch blocks when we start quilting so a 12 inch square ruler would be helpful.   I don't have a preference for brand on mats, but my yellow one is easier to use in low light conditions

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Fri, Jan 24 2014 8:44 AM

I just took a look at my long ruler, it is a 8x24 who knew??  My 6 x 24 is in the back, sitting unused. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 340
Terry replied on Sat, Jan 25 2014 9:25 PM

Thanks a lot I am going to need all these helpful hints, good ideas

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 340
Terry replied on Sat, Jan 25 2014 9:37 PM

Thanks for all the responses love all the ideas 8'x24 wins and yellow  Fiskar mat And I thought the green omnigrid was the one everyone liked, I am glad I asked before going to Joanns

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use