Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 361
Points 7,150
tnmtgrl Posted: Wed, Jan 15 2014 3:14 PM

Does anyone here use or have you ever used a Janome 1600P for free motion quilting?

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 9,320
MaggieNae replied on Wed, Jan 15 2014 4:52 PM

I bought one last spring from E-Bay and am just now setting up the original carriage.  Mine came with a computer driven carriage as well.  I tried using it, but haven't done enough on it to like it that much yet.  I'm in process of loading my first quilt to FMQ on it now.  I've used other long arm machines in the past, but this is a lot less space to work in.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 361
Points 7,150
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, Jan 15 2014 5:49 PM

I don't have mine on a frame...I am having a time getting my tension set right for FMQ and was looking for someone who had used this machine before...my upper thread keeps breaking...if I go too loose the needle gets stuck in the bobbin case and the thread on the back becomes all loopy...the manual that came with it is not very good...it leaves a lot to be desired. I found someone on line who suggested a different thread...I am becoming very frustrated....straight stitching it is great.....

newport, tennessee

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

FMQ puts a lot of stress on the top thread. What thread are you using? What needle are you using? Have you tried a Topstitch needle?

Denise Smart

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 361
Points 7,150
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, Jan 15 2014 7:41 PM

the needle is what came with the machine and the thread is from Connecting Threads...I went researching online this evening and found a help site and there was a person that actually posted settings and help...  I tried it and I think the problem is fixed....keeping my fingers crossed

newport, tennessee

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 9,320
MaggieNae replied on Thu, Jan 16 2014 10:56 AM

Keep us posted.  I thought I had mine all set and was getting ready to start, then ended up with loops on the back.  Spent the rest of my quilting time last night pulling those stitches out.  Re-threaded everything and started again this morning only to find still having a problem.  This is after I found my bobbin empty.  I did pre-wind six more so when I start I can keep going.  I will have to figure out the loopy problem at lunch today.  I'm getting excited to actually finish this quilt and get it off to my cousin in Denver.

What was the site that had so much help?  I bought my machine second hand and could use some advice myself.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 361
Points 7,150
tnmtgrl replied on Thu, Jan 16 2014 5:19 PM

I am at work right now but will get you that information in the morning

newport, tennessee

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 663
Points 12,650
Michelle replied on Thu, Jan 16 2014 8:25 PM

MaggieNae, is this a long arm or domestic machine you are having tension issues with? 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 361
Points 7,150
tnmtgrl replied on Fri, Jan 17 2014 7:44 AM

MaggieNae the website is fixya.com......www.fixya.com/support/t1102729-janome_1600p     hope this helps you... I tried everything they say but I am  still having problems......it's getting very frustrating.

-

newport, tennessee

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 9,320
MaggieNae replied on Fri, Jan 17 2014 11:42 AM

Thanks for the site. 

It is a mid arm machine on a Grace frame.  I was messing with it again last night.  I'm afraid I'm going to use up all my thread trying to fix this issue.  I'll have another go at it again at lunchtime, but I'm also picking up a new foster dog tonight, So I'm not sure how much time I'll be spending on this over the weekend.  I changed the bobbin again and it seems tight.  I think that's where my problem is.  I'll take a good look inside and make sure there's nothing else going on there and adjust the bobbin tension.  Hope that gets me going.  I really want to crank this out.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 9,320
MaggieNae replied on Fri, Jan 17 2014 2:04 PM

A small adjustment on the bobbin and I think I may have success.  I was only able to do a little test at lunch.  Here's hoping.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 361
Points 7,150
tnmtgrl replied on Fri, Jan 17 2014 3:58 PM

Please let me know how you have your machine adjusted...I am sooooo frustrated right now

newport, tennessee

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 663
Points 12,650
Michelle replied on Fri, Jan 17 2014 9:50 PM

MaggieNae, 

I have a long arm and the last quilt had such a problem with the tension.  Worked on both the bobbin tension and the top for a few hours.  Finally I changed the thread to Aurifill in both the top and bobbin.  ( I was trying to use another brand as I liked the colors)  The machine loved it and all was well.  I have found with both my FW and my long arm (its a HandiQuilter 18), they both love Aurifill 40 wt and sew like a charm, no problems with breakage or lint either.  I'm a believer and now just get my colors from them only. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 9,320
MaggieNae replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 12:58 PM

Well, I may have spoken too soon.  Still having major issues.  Now I find the bobbin (several of them) seem to be slowing when they turn in the case.  Where the hole in the bobbin on the side is to thread them, seems to catch when it comes around to where the thread comes out of the case (holder, whatever).  It doesn't flow out smoothly and it irking me.  I may have to quilt this one by hand.  I'm not taking it off the frame.  No way.  I was thinking the bobbin holder may be dented, but the way the bobbins are catching, I don't think so.  It may me the thread. 30wt from Keepsake Quilting.  But it was working well at two different points.  Of course, now I'm actually ready to quilt, it's giving me trouble.  Arrrrrggggg.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 361
Points 7,150
tnmtgrl replied on Tue, Jan 21 2014 1:43 PM

Finally  success!!! I ordered Isacord thread it worked!!.....front and back look good....now to practice, practice , practice!! not bad for my first time!!!

newport, tennessee

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use