Reasons for Quilting

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 150
QuiltsFabrics Posted: Fri, Jan 10 2014 9:52 PM

They say that if you have enough reason to finish something, you will really finish it. I would like to know WHY you started quilting and continue doing it. 

Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else. ~ Les Brown

etsy.com/shop/BLUECROCK

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 806
Points 13,730
zoetc49 replied on Fri, Jan 10 2014 10:14 PM

It's fun to make something and see the results. I give most of mine away, most but not all people love the items. The ones that love them, help me want to continue quilting. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,136
Points 36,940
Roxana replied on Fri, Jan 10 2014 10:25 PM

zoetc49:

It's fun to make something and see the results. I give most of mine away, most but not all people love the items. The ones that love them, help me want to continue quilting. 

What a wonderful way to put it! I just love to create and give. I think I only own one I've made..... But I like the way you said it best!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

I quilt because it makes me happy.

Denise Smart

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 685
Points 10,385

I quilt because I enjoy the process and the excitement build up of seeing the finished project.  I also love giving the quilt to someone and know they will be warm and cozy.  And finally they know it was made with love.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,329
Points 17,805
Susan replied on Sat, Jan 11 2014 12:33 AM

I started quilting  when  my kids were grown and there was more time for myself.   Reading and gardening just was not enough. I also like the process of making some thing from scratch and  watching it  turn into something   beautiful,  a useful  gift  that puts a smile on someone,s face.   Susan

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,500
Points 41,575
Mimi replied on Sat, Jan 11 2014 9:59 AM

I quilt because I love playing with colors and I can't paint to save my life.  I quilt because it lowers my stress levels from all the life situations that get thrown at me every day. I quilt because I love to do puzzles and quilting is like putting a puzzle together.  I quilt because it is fun and I meet so many wonderful, giving friends who have the same obsession I have.  I quilt so that I will be able to give a concrete object representing the love that went into making a quilt to my friends and family.  That's why I quilt.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Jan 11 2014 10:30 AM

Well put, Mimi!  I have to second everything you said!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,536
Points 48,680
Angele replied on Sun, Jan 12 2014 8:38 AM

Mimi, you have put my thoughts in beautiful words. I also quilt to think. It seems that as I quilt and sew, my problems don't seem as big or  as overwhelming. I can put things in perspective.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sun, Jan 12 2014 9:52 AM

I quilt because... (see the above.  everyone said it better then I can.)

I need a creative outlet and this hobby gives me one.Its a bonus that I am able to make a useful object when I quilt.

I like the tradition of quilting. The history of each of us is sewn into the choices of fabric and designs we choose. They all tell a story. It's a very personal and empowering process. 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 298
Points 4,875

I quilt because I just LOVE feeling frustrated!! lol lol. That said, I quilt because it gives me some quiet time with myself and my thoughts amid the noise and distractions of this busy world and life. It is "usually" relaxing to sit at my machine and piece a block, and I enjoy the satisfaction when it all fits together beautifully. When it does not.... well, that's where the above noted frustration comes in. Then, it becomes a challenge to figure out the issue and fix it. Quilting, for me, is the camaraderie of friends who share a common bond for the love for fabrics, color, design, handling the specialized tools and machines we use, and the process of creating something beautiful and unique. Friends who are always ready to lend a helpful hand when questions or problems arise. Most non-quilter friends enjoy my finished work, and envy the skills I have and continue to learn. Interestingly, though, some love what I do and the results of my efforts, but have no desire to learn for themselves. A neighbor, who is an artist in other mediums, loves to look through my stash, experience the colors and designs, patterns, etc., and just be in my quilting work room. But, she has no desire to learn to quilt. I love quilting, all of it. Even the frustrations!  :)    

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 875
Points 14,775

I love making quilts because I love taking beautiful fabric, cutting it up in small various shapes and putting them all back together to make something wonderful.  I also give my quilts away, I am totally hooked on people's reactions to receiving them, the happiness, and shock, and tears. It just makes me feel so good!  I love giving warm quilts to charity's knowing I am doing something good for others. Also, I just love to have excuses to go find beautiful fabrics!!!!   Quilting is a stress reliever for me . It's something I do just for me, sit and create, then bring happiness to others.  

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,534
Points 31,210
Diana replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 5:50 AM

I quilt for my sanity.  My DH suffers from severe PTSD and my studio is my sanity room.  Gives me that quiet time doing something creative.  I do have several quilts that I have kept but most of my quilts are donated or given as gifts to family and friends for weddings and babies.

Diana in East TN

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,162
Points 15,035
Dawn replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 7:05 AM

I started to "seriously" quilt when my first DGS was due.  I wanted him to have something made by me especially for him.  I have made a quilt for all my grands but one, will be starting that soon.  I do love making something else out of the wonderful fabrics.  My grandmother was a quilter too, and I like the idea of carrying on her legacy, though I don't have one of her quilts.  :-/  I love to hand quilt, for the most part.  I can sit and think and pray for the person I am giving the quilt to.  I am starting to get into art quilts and will be finishing my first one soon.  I like the idea that you can create pieces of art with fabric.  I just love to create!  :-)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,767
Points 30,170
Debbie replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 7:24 AM

Like Candis, "I love making quilts because I love taking beautiful fabric, cutting it up in small various shapes and putting them all back together to make something wonderful."  Its a mystery I get to create, the pattern shows what it will look like, yes but I get to create the uniqueness of mine, with my choices of fabric and placement of each piece.  I've crocheted; cross-stitched; sewn clothes for my girls when they're little; did a little bit of macrame; dabbled in ceramics (still have the Christmas tree and carolers I made many years ago) and I've tried to knit.  But once I started quilting I was hooked.  I've made 2 quilts for my DM; 1 for MIL; one for all 7 grandchildren; one I entered into the State Fair and got 10th place ribbon; made about 10 for friends who were either leaving the job or ill; have 7-8 around the house and 6 to be finish with quilting and binding.   

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use