Top 10 Posters

Double batting?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
35 Posts
Points 1,355
LearningDayByDay posted on Thu, Jan 9 2014 5:48 PM

Hi,

I have a quickie question for you on batting.  It is okay to use two layers of 3/16" thick batting in a quilt in order to make a thicker quilt?  or is only one layer allowed?

Ellie

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

hello Ellie, you should only ever need one layer of batting for any quilt. if you live where you need heavy, warm quilts use a wool batting, if in the south where we don't want weight use a natural all cotton batting or a punch batting. the thicker the batting the harder it will be to quilt and keep all those layers together. Cotton or wool one layer. I don't use polyester blends because i love the softness of the cotton, but others have used the blends. Also, I find blends too lofty, but again some want that loft in specific styles. hope this helps. 

LOL BTW no one will arrest you if you use two layers.. anything is allowed. it is your creation so you are the only boss.

have fun and good happy sewing to you 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

It is not unheard of to use two layers of batting. I am considering it for my next quilt.  It will make your stitching more defined depending on what batting is used. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,470 Posts
Points 116,790

I think if you use double batting it will be even more important to use a walking foot or free motion foot as it may be difficult to keep the layers together even if they are pinned or basted well. 

The suggestion of wool batting for extra warmth might work for you and be easier to quilt.

But Vivian is right, it's not unheard of to use double batting. In the end, it's your choice. Just be sure you're prepared for the quilting to be more difficult.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Thu, Jan 9 2014 7:55 PM

How are you planning to quilt it, regular machine or quilting machine. I've done some quilts with 2 layers of thin poly batting, also cotton batting with a thin poly batt on top. I did this for people who wanted their quilt to be more 'Poofy'. It's not a problem with a quilting machine, but if you are going to quilt it on your regular machine it can't be much bigger than a crib or lap quilt, It will be too bulky to roll and fit through your machine. I saw someone do 2 layers of cotton batting once, that quilt was somewhat stiff and heavy.

Hope that helps.

Not Ranked
35 Posts
Points 1,355

Thank you all for your responses which have been helpful.  What I want is a poofier quilt.  I'm still new to quilting and am now making my 9th quilt.  For all of them I have used a 80/20 cotton polyester blend, 3/16".  They seem so flat to me, so I'm looking for a little poof.  I have a regular sewing machine and use a walking foot when quilting.  What I hadn't taken into consideration is having the room to roll up and stuff the quilt into the machine.  That is always difficult so that may be the deciding point since this quilt is double/queen size.  I think I wil try a sample just to see how it is sewing through all those layers and if that works I'll lay it out in double batting and see how it squeezes into the machine before I pin it together.

P.S. - I'm glad the quilt police won't come to my house, if they did they would surely take me away because of the gigantic mess in my dining room - my main quilting station.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

good idea to practice with a  few different batt layers. make a mug rug , mouse pad or place mat and see how that fits into the machine . Good that so many can help with their knowledge. I do know a quilter that has used cotton and a thin blend for trapunto, not sure if that is what you are going for. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,358 Posts
Points 414,944
gini replied on Fri, Jan 10 2014 1:25 PM

Hi Ellie,  I've double batted several quilts.   They were either tied or simple quilt in the ditch.   The kids loved the double batted quilts.  They didn't have heat in their bedrooms.   The poly batts will give you poofier quilts.  Also the more quilting you do on the quilt the flatter it will be

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

The label on the roll will tell you how far apart the quilting should be. We all tend to over quilt, which is pretty and all but usually unnecessary 

Not Ranked
Female
19 Posts
Points 410

You sure can double the batting if you like. It's been done and successfully, but you do have to be careful with your pinning prior to quilting so your layers don't shift too much. But if you don't mind a poly batting, they do come in a variety of thicknesses, and some of them are quite high loft, so using one of those might give you the puffy look you are looking for without needing to double it up.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
869 Posts
Points 14,795

I have doubled the poly high loft before on small quilts. I wanted the puffy look also. Most were on the printed panels, like animals. I outlined them all like stitch in the ditch with decorative thread. That way they seemed to pop out of the quilt, like a 3-D effect.. I have not done this with large quilts. Biggest I have done is 40 ish by 40 ish.   It looks very cool.   

MODESTO, CA.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use