Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 130
Fran Posted: Sun, Jan 5 2014 12:51 PM

Hello - I have just lost my husband and am trying to move forward so thought of all the things I have always wanted to do. I have decided to make a quilt as I have always wanted one but I joined here because I am a complete beginner and my friend recommended it. I'm hoping to get some good hints and tips and make some quilting friends from across the pond.

Fran x

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,385
Points 119,291
Patti replied on Sun, Jan 5 2014 1:16 PM

Welcome Fran x.  There is a Frances on here who is from across the pond as well.  I am sorry for your loss.  Quilting for many of us has been a form of therapy.   Ask any questions and we will be glad to answer.  Besides what is here you tube has a lot of great tutorials as well. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,155
Points 15,865
Erin replied on Sun, Jan 5 2014 2:11 PM

Hello and Welcome Fran.  Sorry for your loss.    When I joined here about 18 months ago I was clueless as well.  Since then I have made quite a few baby and lap quilts and a lot of wall hangings.  I've had many questions along the way and gotten a lot of help from the quilters here.   

As the other poster said, we have a dear lady named Frances on here and she is from the across the pond.  She does a lot of EPP and is a hoot! You should look her up on here.

Piece, Love, Quilt

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 785

Hi Fran X - While I have lost several others of my family, I cannot imagine what you must be going through from the loss of your husband. May quilting bring you joy and solitude as you deal with going it alone. Please know that this group of quilters have helped me through not only quilting problems but also enthusiasm for life when I was on a slump myself. I really do not visit nor comment much on this blog but told myself this is the year to connect a little more. So welcome and I hope to be seeing your posts from time to time.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Sun, Jan 5 2014 2:29 PM

Welcome Fran and very sorry for your loss.  We enjoy sharing our love of quilting.  Join in and ask whatever you need help with.  Where are you on the other side of the pond?.

Diana in East TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942

Fran,very sorry for your loss.  I hope you enjoy the site, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 30
QuiltMom replied on Sun, Jan 5 2014 10:19 PM

Fran, Welcome to the site, I'm fairly new myself to all the facets of the club. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you will enjoy quilting and learning all kinds of techniques.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 130
Fran replied on Mon, Jan 6 2014 6:14 AM

Thank you - I have explored the site a bit. I'm having fun musing on what I am going to do first. I want a duvet cover quilt and am having fun deciding on the patterns etc.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 130
Fran replied on Mon, Jan 6 2014 6:15 AM

Thanks - I might look up Frances and make contact

Fran x

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 130
Fran replied on Mon, Jan 6 2014 6:18 AM

Thank you for your kind words. I must say I can do with all of them at the moment! Dragged myself through Christmas\New Year and still very down in the dumps. But.... I came up with the idea of doing a quilt and I am quite excited about it. Having fun deciding on a pattern and colours at the moment.

Hope to touch base with you again soon

Fran

xx

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 130
Fran replied on Mon, Jan 6 2014 6:21 AM

I am in Kent right over on the East side about 30 miles from London. I am hoping to move back to my hometown soon though as I have been marooned on my own since my husband died in October. I will go back to Somerset or Gloucestershire - beautiful countryside and architecture.

Fran

XX

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 684
Points 10,285

Fran, welcome.  I am so sorry to hear about your husband.  You will enjoy this group and learn so much.  Look forward to being on this new adventure with you.  We like lots of pictures.

Jeanette

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 414
Points 8,365
Pat A replied on Mon, Jan 6 2014 6:45 AM

Hi Fran, Welcome!  So sorry for your loss.

Pat A. in KY

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,150
Karla replied on Mon, Jan 6 2014 12:33 PM

Welcome, Fran, sorry for your loss.  I think you will like it here and make many new friends and learn alot about quilting.  We are quite a friendly bunch and there is lot's of experience and encouragement here, as well as a lot of who are less skilled but always willing to help.  I've learned so, so much here, and made many new friends.  I think you will too.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Hello Fran.
Welcome to  QCA. As others have mentioned there are many aspects of this site, just right for what one would need to know and learn. I would hope you found the groups section where you can join in to get news and help for specific projects and techniques that interested  you. 

I do hope you find your way through the maze of the sites and find just the perfect pattern for you to begin a new fun and addicting hobby, pastime, and perhaps a new career. Yes it happens that way.  Have fun.

I know your pain & send my condolences to you, I too lost my husband, of 45 years on Oct 12, 2013. This is a transition into a new world for all who lose a spouse. I am not able to give you advice as I too am learning to move forward. However, I will say that the actions and reactions from lovely women from this site and our facebook pages have helped me to go on and get busy again. Such support and encouragement from women whom I've never met is GOD sent. Join our Facebook groups as well. There are fun people making fun of our fabric addition, as well as interesting things to wet your appetite for the pure pleasure of sewing . 

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use