Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 986
Points 24,705
MaryLeeHayden Posted: Sat, Jan 4 2014 3:41 PM

Sara Wall and I have been in contact regarding the decision to have the Smoky Mountain retreat or not. I would need to know how many would be interested in coming and then check for a time when she has the lodge available. Last year we had difficulty getting enough to cover the rent and I don't want to take the lodge for a week during Sara's high tourist season if she cannot get enough out of it to cover expenses. We try to keep these retreats at around $200 each for a whole week, with us quilters providing the food and cooking the meals. Please let me know if you are interested or if you think perhaps we should skip this year. I know the economy is rough on us all so I certainly understand if not many feel they could do it. 

These retreats are such fun and a great time to meet and learn from one another. We even have shop hops, often with gifts from the shops. Please let me know what you all think.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,529
Points 31,110
Diana replied on Sat, Jan 4 2014 3:48 PM

Mary,  You know I'm in.  If you need help, I'm also in.  I will do whatever needs to be done.

Diana in East TN

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,541
Points 416,959
gini replied on Sat, Jan 4 2014 3:55 PM

Mary, have you thought about booking the lodge in a shoulder season?   That frees up the lodge during high season, and gives Sara and mike business during the off season?

that is one of the ways we have been able to keep costs down at these retreats

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 0
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Sat, Jan 4 2014 4:58 PM

Mary,

I know you and Sara have been wonderful about booking the retreat during the peak season for us teachers who do not get the chance to come to retreats at any other time of the year.  I also thought that the retreat had already been booked for the beginning of June so I was't really counting on coming knowing I would still be teaching then. Since the weather this winter will determine the length of the school year and when DH and I would be able to attend, I will say we are very interested in coming but don't want to hold up others.  I know I won't be available until sometime the end of June, around the 21st, but that's if we have no more snow days.  Again we would love to send our money to hold our places today but don't want to affect Sara's profits.  Do what you think would be best for Sara. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sat, Jan 4 2014 5:06 PM

I would love to attend, but like Mimi, it is going to depend upon when it is held.  Late summer would be ideal, late July or early August.  I had to back out 2 years ago due to finances, but I've always wanted to go the Smokies.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Sat, Jan 4 2014 5:36 PM

Karla if it works out for you I'd be glad to bring a machine for you to use.  That is if you'd be flying to TN.  I was assuming that would be the way you would travel but if not and you'd be driving I guess you would bring your own machine.  Mid July to early August works well for us too.

• | Post Points: 0
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,935
Points 33,685
Roxana replied on Sat, Jan 4 2014 6:01 PM

Mary, I'm interested .... especially if someone is driving through Arkansas and I could ride with them..... Or I could drive to meet someone between here and there. ... Or possibly fly. Keep me in the loop.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 693
Points 11,885
zoetc49 replied on Sat, Jan 4 2014 11:28 PM

I know I can't go this time, but where is this at? 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,935
Points 33,685
Roxana replied on Sun, Jan 5 2014 12:05 AM

Karla, if you drive.... is there anyway you would come near Arkansas?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, Jan 6 2014 11:44 AM

It's quite possible, if we took the southern route again.  No promises though as I was planning to visit my family along with any retreat I attended this year, and they live in the Dakotas.  I was really hoping that something would come of the Montana retreat that was mentioned earlier.

If we make it to the Smoky's, we might very well go the southern route as we still have more family to visit in Arizona and Texas, along with my friend in Fayetteville, AR.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 735
Points 18,400

Roxanna - I might be interested, and I'll definitely come through Arkansas -- no way to get there from Texas.  Looks like the route will take me through Texarkana and Little Rock.  I would probably stay the night at Little Rock as that is about the half-way mark.  I didn't come last year due to concerns about finding a quiet place to sleep, but I can bring a white noise maker that should help block out extraneous sounds.  And hopefully people won't think me rude if I take a bit of "alone" time to wind down occasionally.

Brigit-Carol

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,935
Points 33,685
Roxana replied on Mon, Jan 6 2014 1:33 PM

Brigit-Carol:

Roxana - I might be interested, and I'll definitely come through Arkansas -- no way to get there from Texas.  Looks like the route will take me through Texarkana and Little Rock.  I would probably stay the night at Little Rock as that is about the half-way mark.  I didn't come last year due to concerns about finding a quiet place to sleep, but I can bring a white noise maker that should help block out extraneous sounds.  And hopefully people won't think me rude if I take a bit of "alone" time to wind down occasionally.

That sounds great. I can meet you in Benton right off I-30 at my husband's golf shop. I hope it works out.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jan 6 2014 2:06 PM

Karla:
 I was really hoping that something would come of the Montana retreat that was mentioned earlier.

CC says she plans to get an announcement out next month.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Mon, Jan 6 2014 2:17 PM

I will not be able to attend this year.  You know all the reasons so I won't belabor them.  I don't want to even think about not seeing you all this year.  God willing, maybe I could do it next year.

Kathy

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,405
Points 21,105

I want to!  I haven't mentioned this to DH yet.  We're going to Hawaii for 2 weeks this year, which takes up most of our vacation days, but I want to try to make this work as well.  I'm hoping to convince him to do something he enjoys (like see friends) while I am at retreat... but that conversation still needs to happen.  I will try to talk to him sooner rather than later and will keep you posted.  Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Raleigh, NC

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use