Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 31 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,339
Points 38,890
Mimi replied on Thu, Jan 2 2014 9:36 PM

What happens a lot for me is that I get all the colors out that I want to use for a particular project.  I search in every spot and cubby.  I put it all together and then decide.  But I don't usually use everything I pull.  And I also don't usually put it away when I'm not going to use it so it seems to multiply 10 fold.  I need to take a whole week and clean and organize the gargantuan mess before it gets any worse.   But then I wouldn't have the time to sew.  Some day...but not tomorrow.  I'm off because of the s**w.  

This is what I pulled for Bonnie Hunter's MQ.  And it doesn't count for all the scraps I used up first.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,305
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Thu, Jan 2 2014 9:39 PM

Roxana:
but I would gander I have close to 500 yards of fabric stash...lol..

WOW!  no where near that much,probably not even 30 yds.  I'm pretty conservative and like to have something to make before I buy except for the fabric with books on it.  I kinda go wild there - have 3 different ones but no idea what I'm going to do with them.  Most of mine are what's left from other quilts as I tend to overbuy except when I need do and then I under buy.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942

Yes I have been but it is not getting any smaller   why you ask because I can't seem to stay out of the quilt shops

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Thu, Jan 2 2014 9:44 PM

Well I know I have more than 30 yards.  More than 100 likely.  If I have more I don't want to know about it, until I can't find the piece I know I have somewhere.  Just when I think I have it all organized, I find another bunch in a container under the bed, in the closet, in the car port.  It's everywhere. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

Yes I am using up my stash. I live way out in the country, a minimum one hour drive to the nearest quilt store. Also the nearest quilt store mainly carries country calicos. I prefer more modern fabric like Free Spirit or Kaffee Fassett. That fabric store is 1.5 hour away, one way in good weather with no traffic. So I am happy to have a huge stash. So every quilt I make is pulled from my stash. My stash keeps me happy. My motto is Stash Treasure Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy (STABLE) And its non-fattening.

Denise Smart

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,292
Points 45,710
Angele replied on Thu, Jan 2 2014 10:02 PM

My stash has grown like a teenager this year... I just can't stay out of shops. Well like everyone here I do hope to make a big dent in my stash this year. I have project specific fabrics for about eight projects, but the rest is fair game. I have more plans in my head that I have time. So we will see.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

Mimi:

And I also don't usually put it away when I'm not going to use it so it seems to multiply 10 fold.  I need to take a whole week and clean and organize the gargantuan mess before it gets any worse.   But then I wouldn't have the time to sew.  Some day...but not tomorrow.

I used to be in that mode also. I love to sew, I need to sew. So I resented taking the time to be organized because it kept me away from sewing. I could not free up a solid week to get organized. It made me feel so bad. So I broke it up into 20 minutes increments. I would spend just 20 minutes three times a week to get organized. I fold my fabric around a ruler so it all the same size. It is stored by type (either batik or screen printed) and then by color. I have a few separate categories for special themes, like butterflies or plaids and stripes. It took me five months but it was achievable and did not bum me out. Now I can find everything and am more productive than ever.

Denise Smart

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,098
Points 24,735
Agnes replied on Fri, Jan 3 2014 11:17 AM

My firm motto is: Ability to make progression in my projects is in direct relationship to my organization. I always make an effort to use up stash but I will also shop sales if I have a new project idea drifting around in my brain. Actually in the past few years I have not been as concerned about how little stash I have but how to use the oldest pieces in my stash so that none of my stash becomes dated. I believe that is how ugly fabrics are born. I have a nice piece, number of yards, in a grey batik that is begging to leave home but I am finding it hard to incorporate into anything. I bought if for a specific purpose which later was aborted. I think the easiest answer for it will be backings without it showing up in the front of anything. As long as it is part of my stash it is going to bug me everytime I see it.

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 785
Dee-Duck replied on Fri, Jan 3 2014 12:23 PM

Hi Agnes,  I am like you -- have a bunch of batiks left over that I am not fond of. Therefore I am making split rail blocks to be sewn together for a Project Linus quilt. Surprisingly it is becoming quite attractive! In Project Linus we do not get many quilts for the teenagers but I think this will make a delightful one for some 12- 13 year old girl in the hospital. Generally I make 45x45 boy's quilts (we do not get many boys items either) but for these batiks I will go with 45x60. Should have enough for two quilts. Say, I bet I could just sew strips together and then cut into square blocks they could be arranged many different ways. Yep, I will do one that way too. Fun to experiment.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 3 2014 12:41 PM

I am using my stash but for every piece I use out of stash I replace with 2 or 3 new pieces.  Don't seem to be making much progress on decreasing the stash....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,860
Jacy replied on Fri, Jan 3 2014 1:05 PM

I am a fabricaholic and I haven't bought any fabric for 4 days. But I did order 4 patterns today.........that's to help use up my stash right? 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 783
Points 12,620

Remember when we were talking about saving the zipper bags that come with new linen.  My fabric stash (not including batting and muslin) fits in a blanket bag.  

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45

500 yards? Can I come shopping at your house? I also have a lot of stash probably not that much but this past summer I picked up over 40 yards of good quality quilt fabric for 30 dollars at a garage sale. I am trying to get my stash dwindled down by making myself use at least one of the stash fabrics in any new quilt project started. Fabric is just so pretty.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,567
Points 30,544
Kelley replied on Fri, Jan 3 2014 6:30 PM

sandyrae5:

500 yards? Can I come shopping at your house? I also have a lot of stash probably not that much but this past summer I picked up over 40 yards of good quality quilt fabric for 30 dollars at a garage sale. I am trying to get my stash dwindled down by making myself use at least one of the stash fabrics in any new quilt project started. Fabric is just so pretty.

Lol... sandyrae5... come on over maybe we can trade or something... I by from Fabric for less  and they have bolt only sales and I stock up...lol... I like to stock up on solids or almost solid fabrics... I use those alot...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,258
Points 134,778

Too funny ladies. We're stash a holic's. Sometimes I wonder if I do collect fabric because I love it or I really think I might use it someday. LOL

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use