Fabric for discharging

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 365

I am experimenting with discharging fabric and am having trouble figuring out what color I am going to get.  I am trying to get a black fabric (close to a solid black) that will discharge to green.  I did this once before but of course can't find the fabric again.  I have tried several blacks -- I can get purple and gold discharged areas, but haven't been able to get any other colors.  Does anyone have advice about this?  I suppose I could use a discharge/paint combo with green paint, but that gives a really solid color look to the discharged area, which is not quilt what I was after.

I am going to try to add a photo here of a little quilt I made that shows the effect I am looking for:

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 365
Shirley replied on Tue, Dec 31 2013 2:20 PM

This is a small add on to my original post.  I was having some trouble getting the photo included and accidentally posted before I was quite ready.  Anyway, my question is:  does anyone have experience with discharging and particularly with finding fabrics that discharge effectively to particular colors?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Jan 1 2014 7:25 AM

Interesting, Shirley!  I hope the gals that have experimented with fabric dying techniques see these and can offer some advice.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Wed, Jan 1 2014 7:37 AM

I have done some fabric dyeing but not discharging.  I would be interested in learning this too

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,494
Points 48,185
Angele replied on Wed, Jan 1 2014 1:33 PM

Shirley, this sounds quite interesting. Did you follow a class or did you do the trial and error method.? I would love to learn more about this.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use