rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 100
Julie Posted: Mon, Dec 30 2013 2:20 PM

Greetings and Happy New Year!

I am happy to have found this community as I am driving my family insane with quilt chatter. I think I drove the relatives out of the house last night, although the result of the Bears/Green Bay game claims the greater share of the responsibility.

I have several unfinished projects and am looking for a machine to supplement my simple Janome HD 3000. I can't wait to read about the different machines everyone here uses.

Lately, I've been enjoying the Attic Windows pattern and have always liked variations of Rail Fence, Log Cabin, and Nine Patch. I love textiles and am hoping to branch out a with a bit more harp space. I'm just learning free motion and machine quilting as I used to sew by hand.

I'm looking forward to seeing your projects and learning, learning, learning from you.

I'm a retired registered nurse and seasonal retail worker (discounts!), mother of 2  and grandmother of 2. I'm from NW IN about an hour from Chicago.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,150
Karla replied on Mon, Dec 30 2013 2:25 PM

You've come to the right place, Julie.  We all love textiles, in fact, I have more fabric than I'll ever be able to use in my lifetime.  We also have a lot of retired RN's on this site, although I'm not one of them.  I am retired, however, and still don't have enough time to get all the quilts done that I want to finish.  I currently have 6 projects going at one time.  It does keep me busy and on my toes when I'm not babysitting one of my 5 grandchildren.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,126
Points 411,209
gini replied on Tue, Dec 31 2013 12:07 PM

hi julie, welcome to the group. we do a bit of chattering here, so you will fit right in.  we have also found a live chat on snickerdoodle dreams is you would like to join us there when this site is down.  we also have a group on facebook called quilters quilting, where we can go when this site isn't working

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Tue, Dec 31 2013 7:06 PM

Welcome Julie

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,385
Points 119,291
Patti replied on Wed, Jan 1 2014 7:24 AM

Hi Julie.  The best machine to get is one from a dealer near you who will help you learn to use it, and will see that any machine problems are fixed.  I love my pfaff, but without the local quilt store that sells them, I'd be very frustrated.  The pfaff I have now is very obedient and does everything I ask her the first time.  She was a free replacement for her lemon predecessor.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 684
Points 10,285

Welcome Julie, You will have so much fun with this group.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Welcome Julie, you will have lots of fun here.

Margaret

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 30
Points 325

Happy New Year Gini,

Looked all over fb and cannot find "quilters quilting" , did I look for the wrong page?

Thanks

Teddi

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 100
Julie replied on Wed, Jan 1 2014 11:31 AM

I'm very pleased to meet all of you and appreciate the kind welcome messages :)

I'm almost convinced that my new machine will be either a Janome 1600q, Juki TL Q 2010 or 2000 (not sure I need the speed control), or the Brother PS 1500.

I am a fully mechanical sewist but would love a needle up/down. I also don't do garment sewing and will be keeping my Janome for piecing.

I've toyed with the idea of modifying the Janome with a diy extention table, but the harp space is simply tragic on this machine. I'm really on the fence as I've found the perfect tension setting for fmq without lowering feed dogs. I'm running this little beauty very hot on some days and am simultaneously suffering from neck and shoulder issues from a very ergonomically dreadful set up. I have a sewing room but I'm sitting on unfinished projects due to pain and fear of blowing the motor in my machine.

I'm trying to do a little everyday, but I'm sure you guys all know how that works out! Me on the heating pad...ugh. So, something has to change. I McTavished a pot holder yesterday. Very frustrating!

I

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 100
Julie replied on Wed, Jan 1 2014 11:56 AM

Hi Patti,

I wish we had a dealer near us with floor models of the types of machines I'm interested in. We have a Janome dealer in town and I've tried the 6500 and the 6300 (the Necchi Equivalent) and they just seem to be a bit too much machine for my needs. I might use a few decorative stitches, but zig-zag seems to suffice for my needs. I just can't justify the expense if I'm not going to use them.

We have a Bernina dealer 45 minutes away and a Juki dealer in Chicago, about an hour, so I'm lucky in that there are dealers fairly close by. I only know one and can only guess at the reliabilty of the others. It's a problem in that the machines have become so complicated and there doesn't seem to be a sewing "super center" where you can find the type machine you're looking for and try the different manufacturers side by side. I'd love to support our local guy and do buy a lot of supplies from him, but the mark up for machines is 100% and then some. I'd rather just pay him as I go for repairs and service. It's a gamble either way. The Janome dealer in town wants $2700 for the 6300, which is selling online consistently for around $1200.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,056
Points 170,028
Marie replied on Wed, Jan 1 2014 12:15 PM

Hi Julie, welcome!  Glad you have joined us, enjoy!

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 91
Points 1,345

Nice meeting you  and welcome to the club.  I'm new to quilting, but not to sewing.  I used to sew clothing for my three children and toys etc.  I started to do patchwork last year, after surgery.  The concentrating on making the corners meet, made me forget about the discomfort from the surgery.  I believe that I'm now a bit addicted to the patchwork.

I have six grandkids, two of them are adopted, but I love them all the same.  I also have two dogs left.   One German Shepherd and one mini Poodle.

Marianne

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 100
Julie replied on Sat, Jan 4 2014 7:15 PM

Patti,

I took your advice and drove the 2 miles to own local Janome dealer and ther IT was...the machine I had been mulling over for the last several months. I suppose events come together sometimes and things just work out the way you hope they will, and I'm hoping my purchase today of my new machine will be a testament to that. I've only sewed a few hours on it, but so far I'm loving it! My sister was bugging me to try a road trip before I bought online and I found what I wanted locally.

Thank you for your advice :)

More to come in another thread because I do have a small bone to pick with Janome/Necchi.

• | Post Points: 0
Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use