Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 95
Bonnie Croft Posted: Sun, Dec 29 2013 6:45 PM

I live on a small farm in upstate NY, where the weather is always changing.  I am the mother of 3 grown children, one deceased.  8 grandchildren, 2 great grands, and another coming in July.  I am retired and spend most of my days here at home,  my husband is a retired Nurseryman,  so he is busy gardening in the nice weather.  I have made a few lap quilts, tho I haven't done any hand quilting. I tie them.  I would like to learn how to do the quilting, on my quilts.  I am ready to start on a baby quilt soon, It will be mint green, pink and blue probably, as I don't know the sex of the baby coming.   I love to "talk" quilting, and look forward to making some friendships here.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 8:44 PM

Hi Bonnie, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Mon, Dec 30 2013 2:22 PM

Welcome Bonnie.  Just jump right in and start quilting,  I have never hand quilted or tied a quilt.  I began quilting my baby quilts doing stitch in the ditch, but have now graduated to some free motion quilting.  You can't learn unless you try it and it takes practice, lot's of practice,.

There are a lot a classes on Craftsy that can help you with free motion quilting (FMQ) so you might want to try that, or even youtube for demonstrations.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 170
GLORIAF-6 replied on Mon, Dec 30 2013 7:28 PM

Hi Bonnie, 

Welcome.  I live in NYS also.  Near Kingston, NY.

Gloria

Gloria from New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Wed, Jan 1 2014 7:46 AM

Welcome Bonnie.  I have relatives near Ithica.  New York is a beautiful state.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45

I live in upstate NY as well, between Syracuse and Rochester.  I've quilted for years, retired last year (2012) also.  I haven't gotten up the courage to try free motion quilting, but have done up to king size quilts with hand quilting.  As another poster wrote, I should watch some of the free motion quilting videos and try it.

Good to hear from another NY state quilter.

Kathy

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 685
Points 10,365

Welcome Bonnie.  I have not done machine quilting.  The few quilts I hyave done has been handquilting.  I enjoy working with my hands so most of my quilting is done by hand stitches.  You will really enjoy this group and for those of us that have not been quilting very long you can learn a lot from the vast knowledge this group has.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25

Hi!  I am also from New York State, Johnstown which is upstate between Albany & Utica.  Very cold here today but a Happy New Year Day.  I love to make quilt tops but have always had my quilts quilted by a long arm person.  My new year resolution this year is to learn to free motion quilt!  I was looking around for a New Year's Day mystery quilt project.  My Mom and I participated in one a few years ago and it was fun!

Look forward to participating in forums more this year also!

Cathi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Wed, Jan 1 2014 9:03 AM

Hi Bonnie, welcome to the gang

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,353
Points 174,653
Marie replied on Wed, Jan 1 2014 10:05 AM

Hi Bonnie, welcome!  Sorry for the loss of your child, I lost an adult child as well.  My other 3 haven't been as busy giving me grandchildren as yours.  I have 1 DGD and 1 DGS and a soon to be a year old DGGS, that's him in my avatar.  Looking forward to your friendship, you'll be making many here, a great bunch of loving caring quilters.  Enjoy!

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Welcome to the club Bonnie.

Margaret

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 252
Points 3,880

Hi Bonnie,

Welcome and I'm  fairly new here too but I'm also new at quilting.  I started last year, I did patchwork and concentrating on making the corners match helped me to relax about the discomfort after surgery.  I did  some hand quilting, but making all the stitches the same  isn't easy. 

I'm also a grandmother, but I have no great grandchildren.  I'm almost 71 and my youngest grandchild will be 4 next month.  My husband is also retired and the strangest thing happened one day.  My sewing machine acted up and he offered to take a look.   A few days later  I asked him if I could have my sewing machine back, he replied that it was now "his' sewing machine.  We bought him  a sewing machine and I have to admit that he's really good at sewing.  He's good at fixing almost everything. I'm glad to have him for 49 years. 

Marianne

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,128
Points 14,575
Dawn replied on Thu, Jan 16 2014 7:58 AM

Hello!!  Welcome to the club!  Enjoy and know that there are a lot of people here to help you out and encourage!!!  

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use