Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 520
Joanne Posted: Sat, Dec 28 2013 8:30 AM

Hi everyone, I am Joanne and been here before. I haven't been on this website due to my busy schedule...But any way,  my husband bought me an Accuquilt Go for Christmas . And I would like to know if anyone has one and what are your views on it. I like to appliqué and want to know what is your favorite technique. I am used to fuse le webbing the back and ironing it on. Does the glue that gets dabbed on work well?  Thank you for your input. Joanne 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 242
Points 3,090

Welcome, Joanne

I have an AccuQuilt Go and love it for cutting out applique shapes.  If I am making an applique project that needs several pieces of the same shape, my AccuQuilt cuts them uniformly and quickly.  I iron Steam a Seam fusible on the back of my fabric before putting it thru the AccuQuilt.  Then I just peel off the paper backing, fuse it on my background and stitch around the applique.  I have also needle turned the applique pieces.

Barbara

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,957
Leslie replied on Sat, Dec 28 2013 4:33 PM

Hi Joanne

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,383
Points 360,872
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 1:10 PM

Welcome Joanne. I have a GO! cutter as well but I rarely use it.

Joanne:
Does the glue that gets dabbed on work well?

Do you mean Roxanne's Glue Baste it? It work well and washes out. I use it to hold large shapes in place when doing needle turn appliqué. This is my favourite method but I'm trying back basting these days. Fusible appliqué is my least favourite method as I have trouble with fusibles. When I do fuse I like Misty Fuse and Soft Fuse.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 1:31 PM

What is back basting, Kris?

And how are you doing weather-wise?  I'm hearing awful reports coming from Maine.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,383
Points 360,872
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 3:20 PM

Nancy,

with back basting you trace the entire design on the wrong side of your background. Then you place a piece of fabric on the right side that's bag enough to cover your shape. You baste that in place with a running stitch on the lines from the back using a large needle and thick thread. The fabric is trimmed 1/4 inch from the basting stitches. The basting stitches create a crease from the holes made by the needle. this is used to turn under the seam allowance. Make sense? 

I'm using this method because I have a dark background that I can't see through to place my shapes.

As for the weather we're getting rain since we're near the coast but the interior is gearing up for lots of s**w. Our county is the only one not under storm watch. They say we'll eventually get s**w but not nearly as much as other areas.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,582
Points 75,645
Karla replied on Mon, Dec 30 2013 2:29 PM

I'd like to welcome you back, Joanne, but I can't offer any advice on the AccuQuilt Go because I don't own one and I haven't done much applique, but am planning to do so in the near future.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,281
Points 413,744
gini replied on Mon, Dec 30 2013 10:45 PM

Welcome back Joanne.

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use