Top 10 Posters

Sewing machine/quilting machine help!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20
ashambeck posted on Fri, Dec 27 2013 7:49 PM

I have been sewing for a few years now and I want to take up quilting. I have a lot of my grandmothers old quilts that need to be repaired. I have been using my sisters sewing machine for everyday stuff but I am looking to purchase a machine of my own that will not only sew but is also recommended for quilting. I want to stay under $500 but could go up to $600 if it is highly recommended. I know that I won't be getting top of the line with this budget but what do you recommend for this price range?

thank you all in advance for your help :)

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
521 Posts
Points 10,610

Welcome, Ashambeck! I'm sorry that I can't recommend a specific machine for you, but I can advise that you get the most throat space that you can. The larger the throat space, the more room you have for your quilting. If there are any quilt shows nearby, go to them and talk to the vendors. They'll let you try out the machines and let you know all the features. Good luck!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,426 Posts
Points 72,120
Karla replied on Mon, Dec 30 2013 2:12 PM

I agree with Carol, a large throated machine is a necessity if you plan on actually doing the quilting.  I bought a Viking Sapphire on ebay for $500...it has a large throat and has met all of my needs.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,385 Posts
Points 119,276
Patti replied on Wed, Jan 1 2014 7:51 AM

Yes, a large throated machine really helps with quilting.  Check with your local sewing machine dealers, they will often have refurbished and with new warranty machines for a good price. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use