Where do you cut your fabric?

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 535
Points 9,320
zoetc49 Posted: Thu, Dec 26 2013 8:27 PM

I have a round kitchen table that I use for me sewing needs. My home is small, and I would love to have a dedicated sewing area, but not sure what to do about it. I have an extra bed that I want out, but my niece won't come to pick it up, and I can give it away, just not feeling it right now. So today I went driving everywhere wondering if I should buy a new larger kitchen table that would work better, or find a fold up table to pull out when I need it ( often) or just leave things as is.  I have consider asking someone to make a leaf for my table since I don't have one and that would give me more space- still in my kitchen.

What do you all do, or have or make do with?   

• | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 783
Points 12,620
Quiltless replied on Thu, Dec 26 2013 8:58 PM

A counter height table is good for cutting.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,114
Points 110,335

Zoetc49, my sewing room/office is too small for a cutting table so I took over part of the living room. Which really works nice as I can watch the news while cutting and also interact with my hubby.

A kitchen table is much too low for cutting; really hard on the back. For years I had one of those folding cutting tables from Joann's but the top was starting to warp. Then I found the most wonderful cutting/craft table at Costco for $199. It looks nice, is heavy and stable and has lots of cubby's for fabric and tools. It sits at the corner of the living room near my sewing room. It does require assembly. Since it's rather heavy, George and I did it together. Everything fit nicely so he didn't get grumpy. I just love it. It's a couple inches higher than my other cutting table which is even better.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

I have a 24"x45" extra tall very sturdy table that I use for cutting. It small enough that I can walk around it and access different sides for cutting.  Having the right height really saves wear and tear on my back. Do you have an IKEA store near by? They are wonderful. You can pick out the right size table top that you want, than add  different leg styles to get the right height. Some legs heights are even adjustable. Very reasonably priced for what you get. They also have fold down tables.

Denise Smart

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,098
Points 24,735
Agnes replied on Thu, Dec 26 2013 9:43 PM

No matter where I have lived, from a large home to a small (very small)) apartment and no matter the space and whether there was space for a dedicated sewing room or area my cutting table has always been approx 36" tall, the normal height of kitchen counters and portable dishwashers. My back needs to be straight and not hunched in any way. I personally find 30" table top height too low for me and I am a short person--5 foot 2. If I haven't got the 36" height I will find a way to devise it. I now have a 6" high plywood box that I had built to place on top of a computer cart or the kitchen/dining table so I have that 36" height. It is big enough to hold an 18 x 24" cutting mat  and being able to pull it away so all four sides are clear is a help. It certainly can become a bit of a challenge when working with long yardage pieces but butting the cart against the table to carry the extra weight is a help. Another help is rolling my fabric for storage so that I can cut strips easily without unrolling the whole bolt. I won't even go on to describe the perfect rooms and tables I have had over the years. This is my solution to a situation developed through downsizing.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,305
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Thu, Dec 26 2013 9:56 PM

In my small sewing room, I have a 6 ft long folding table on bed risers and that works well.  But, I do like the idea on being able to get on at least 3 sides cuz I can only get to 2 sides and I have to move the fabric around.  I do have my laptop on one corner, also.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Thu, Dec 26 2013 10:14 PM

My kitchen table which is a round oval with leaf accomodates me for cutting.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Thu, Dec 26 2013 11:11 PM

I also have a 6' folding table on bed risers.  The bed risers sure make a difference.  This table sits in my living room.  I have another 6' folding table that also sits on one side of the living room with 2 sewing machines set up.  My DH does not like the arrangement, but he's given up complaining about  it.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 535
Points 9,320
zoetc49 replied on Thu, Dec 26 2013 11:49 PM

Denise, 

Yes I do have an Ikea close by and went there today. I saw the desk you were talking about here, but the materials they were made of I was not sure about. which top do you have? If I had found wood for the top I might have gone on and bought one. At Christmas I had three projects going at one time, I did enjoy that as when I got tired of one project I went to the other one. I had set up a card table in the spare bedroom and rather liked that, but that is not strong enough for a cutting surface. I went everywhere I could think to go today looking. I went to Jo Ann's and I like the table they have, but I don't like the way it opens up. I like all of the ideas. I looked for folding tables, and so far all I am finding are too small or way too long, or are plastic. Maybe I can build something, and build it with storage. I even looked at Lowes today at Kitchen cabinets thinking I could put a top over one and have a great storage unit...but the home is small, and I need to think about anything I do.    I also had another idea today, I could buy a counter high Kitchen table.  I never eat at my kitchen table anyways.    

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 1:01 AM

I use plastic folding tables and they are quite strong and I've had no problem with them,  I bought the 6' tables at WalMart and the 5' tables at Lowe's.  I've noticed that Costco has some 3 or 4' tables.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 6:06 AM

In my quilt studio, I bought a small kitchen island that is on wheels, has a drawer and two shelves with doors.  It has a butcher block top that expands on one end and a towel rack on the other end.  It's the perfect height for cutting and has extra storage.  Being on wheels, I can pull it out and get on all sides.  I love it.

Diana in East TN

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,400
Points 45,150

I have a 5 foot folding table on bed risers. It is an older table made of pressboard with a laminate top and weighs a ton. I used it a long time before I got the bed risers and it was very hard on my back. The bed risers made a big difference. I am able to leave the table up all the time so I have large bins of fabric stored under the table. I have brought home 6 foot plastic tables from work for sandwiching quilts. I tried cutting on them and they are not completely flat so I really didn't like them. I think they bowed over time. I am a widow so there is no one to complain that I took the largest spare room for my sewing room. I also have a 4 foot plastic table from Sam's. It adjusts to 3 different heights. I keep it set up behind my sewing machine to hold the quilt. I can use it for cutting if I put my Quilt Cut on it since the Quilt Cut is a hard surface and compensates for the dip in the plastic top. That would work  well for a smaller space.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 10:35 AM

When I cut the larger yardages, I use my kitchen counter.   It was intentionally made for cutting fabric, then cooking.  It is 8x3 feet, open on 3 sides.  It's great for pinning quilt sandwiches for quilting too. It is also higher than the conventional counter, which makes it easier to work at, both for cooking and quilting.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

zoetc49:

Denise, 

Yes I do have an Ikea close by and went there today. I saw the desk you were talking about here, but the materials they were made of I was not sure about. which top do you have? If I had found wood for the top I might have gone on and bought one.    

I bought mine many years ago. It is 1 3/8 thick particle board covered with a fake looking vinyl wood print. It looks like the closest current IKEA matches are either the LINNMON or the TORNLIDEN. Adjustable height trestle (easy to take down and store) FINNVARD, or adjustable height legs VIKA KAJ

Denise Smart

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 7,440
Joyce replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 1:40 PM

I have the follding table from JoAnn's I really like it.  Withe the wheels on it the height is good for my back and I can close in the 2 folding sides when I need more space for DGKs to sleep on the bed in that room.  Most of the time the sides are open and I have 3 sides I can get too.  It is pushed up against the table my sewing machines sit on so I can just jump up and cut then sew.  Actually it is usually filled with other fabric & stuff so I have barely room to measure & cut unless I clean it off first.  It is white so not sure how that would fit in with your decor.

Joyce

Maryland

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use