Please, I need help removing marks made with the "Mark-B-Gone" pen

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 40
Gourd Artistan Now Quilting posted on Sat, Dec 21 2013 11:17 AM

Hi Folks -

I am about to become a first-time grandmother and, after almost 20-years away from quilting, I have designed a quilt for this child (due any day now).  I have made several appliques to go along with the space theme that our son and daughter-in-law are using in the nursery, as well as a Shuttle to represent the many times we took our son to Edward's Air Force Base to watch the Shuttle Landings. The quilt is nearly complete.

I purchased the Mark-B-Gone pen, tested it before using it on the quilt blocks, and those marks disappeared.  For some reason the marks that are now underneath to near to my hand-quilting will not go away.  They seem to disappear when they are wet, but re-appear when the fabric dries.  I have re-wet the fabric several times but the marks remain, albeit somewhat lighter.

Is there any solution to this problem or must I make a whole new quilt?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,121 Posts
Points 110,715

I checked on SewForum.com.  Not a great deal of help there but they do say not to use heat to try to remove it.  One person states that it can take several days of air drying for it to disappear completely (if at all).

Someone else says just the opposite, copied below: Good luck.

"Just keep wetting it thoroughly, let it dry, and do it again if needed. This may have to be repeated several times. You can use a q-tip to really get the marks wet. Persistence wins. I had been taught that some of the blue markers react with detergent to make removal difficult, so be sure to use plain water."

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 40

Thank You, Judy, for your quick response.  I will just keep wetting the 57 stars that are marked and quilted, and say a prayer along the way.

Sher.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
773 Posts
Points 11,600

Good luck on getting your marks out. I know this can be very upsetting.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use