Save thread, make baby quilt

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 110
ktdid Posted: Wed, Dec 18 2013 3:12 PM

To save thread I used to keep a scrap of fabric and run off on it at the end of a line of stitching. Now I keep 5" squares handy and sew two together when I come to the end of a line of stitching. This way I can use the sqares to keep joining until I get enough to make a baby or lap quilt. I am using up 5" squares that I bought gobs of when I returned to quiting several years ago. I usually join eight 5" squares to make a column and make eight columns, It finishes up 36" square before edging and/or binding.  

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,362
Points 20,480

I like this idea... So you just keep a stack of them next to your machine I guess?  Interesting way to have multiple projects going at once, which is something I'm fond of.  :)  Thanks for sharing.  

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Fri, Dec 20 2013 8:02 AM

I have a friend who Hess been doing this for some time. Keeps the machine from snagging the thread and nesting.  Working on two quilts at one time takes so organization. Check out quiltville. Bonnie hunter has some awesome ideas.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Fri, Dec 20 2013 8:29 AM

Bonnie  calls them Leaders and Enders and she has a book of patterns.  Lots of pieces in her patterns. I think she is actually the queen of scrappy. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

ktdid:

To save thread I used to keep a scrap of fabric and run off on it at the end of a line of stitching. Now I keep 5" squares handy and sew two together when I come to the end of a line of stitching. This way I can use the sqares to keep joining until I get enough to make a baby or lap quilt. I am using up 5" squares that I bought gobs of when I returned to quiting several years ago. I usually join eight 5" squares to make a column and make eight columns, It finishes up 36" square before edging and/or binding.  

Great idea. I would never have thought of this on my own. heehee

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 694
Points 13,230
Michelle replied on Sat, Dec 21 2013 8:57 PM

This idea is fabulous. I have to make this a New Years resolution 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,326
Points 30,140
Agnes replied on Sun, Dec 22 2013 2:19 AM

I never sew without leaders and enders. That is one reason I am always working on at least two, sometimes more, quilts at the same time. I just have a few seams left on one top but another one received a really good beginning. The reason I often involve a second project is because this way I press all the same units at the same time, eg the four four patches for the same block. This keeps the groups together per block, particularly if I am using various fabrics but each dedicated to a particular block. I just can't wrap my head around random scrappy projects. I have to have some control and consistent colors or fabrics in any of my work.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Sun, Dec 22 2013 9:10 AM

Vivian :

Bonnie  calls them Leaders and Enders and she has a book of patterns.  Lots of pieces in her patterns. I think she is actually the queen of scrappy. 

Bonnie IS the Queen of Scraps!  Also, my leader - my DH says I'd follow her anywhere!  I make all her mystery quilts, and love her site, www.quiltville.com  I have step 4 done of the current mystery, and have to wait until Friday to get the next step--she gave us an easy one over the holidays.  So today I go back to my scraps, I always have several kinds going to use the scraps - have different sized of leaders and enders at each of three or four machine that I  use all the time.  Hmm, maybe that is why I have so many quilts and UFOs  I don't know which one to work on, but it's a fun problem!  Also great to get on here to day, I miss it when I can't get on some days!  Happy, Merry, Blessed Christmas to all!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use