Top 10 Posters

What quilting grip gloves have you found were good?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
588 Posts
Points 10,165
zoetc49 posted on Tue, Dec 17 2013 7:20 AM

I am enjoying doing wall hangings and with this I can do my quilting on my small machine as I don't have a long arm. I have found that my hands need "grips" and what I had been using was a wet wash cloth, but I would like to get some gloves. Has anyone found some that are very good? Thanks  

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,503 Posts
Points 50,705
Ginny replied on Tue, Dec 17 2013 7:26 AM

I have been using the garden gloves with the nubbies on the palm surface.  They work very well and when I need to remove them, they come off easily , but stay on and in place when I am using them.  I have thought of getting the machingers, but these are working well for me.    Ginny

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
251 Posts
Points 3,240

I, too, have discovered gardening gloves with the nubbies on them to work great.  I tried a couple of brand name gloves but couldn't find any that were really comfortable in size.  I find the perfect sizing in garden gloves and they are less expensive.

Barbara

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,814
gini replied on Tue, Dec 17 2013 9:44 AM

I used gardening gloves until I found machingers. They are wonderful.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,488 Posts
Points 138,318

Machingers for me too.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,463 Posts
Points 116,635

gini:

I used gardening gloves until I found machingers. They are wonderful.

I'm also sold on the machingers gloves. (don't confuse these with the gloves to protect your hand from rotary blade cuts) With a Joann's coupon they don't cost any more than gardening gloves and fit so much better. I bought the small size as I want them to fit as snug as possible. They are still very easy to remove. Well, one is especially easy now as our little Sophie dog managed to grab one and now the cuff is a bit loose. Little bugger.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 150 Contributor
588 Posts
Points 10,165
zoetc49 replied on Tue, Dec 17 2013 11:16 AM

Thank you !! I guess a trip to Jo Anns is in store today, I did NEED a reason to go over there  ...lol

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,333 Posts
Points 20,025

We got to try on a few different pairs at a FMQ class I took.  For me personally, the GrabARoos fit a little better than the machingers.  I have very small hands and short, stubby fingers.  Like Judy, I also like them to be pretty snug.  Mine aren't uncomfortably tight, but I also don't have ANY extra fabric hanging off anywhere (because if I did, I would surely stitch through it!) 

Machingers might be the same way - I can't remember - but one thing I love about my grab a roos is that they have nubs on the top and bottom of the fingers and are symmetrical.  So I can put either glove on either hand.  It's helpful for me, since I take mine off and on a lot.

Raleigh, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,463 Posts
Points 116,635

Carolyn (CarolBeau):
Machingers might be the same way - I can't remember - but one thing I love about my grab a roos is that they have nubs on the top and bottom of the fingers and are symmetrical.  So I can put either glove on either hand.  It's helpful for me, since I take mine off and on a lot.

Oh, yes the Machingers are nubby both sides and can be used on either hand.  For awhile I was using the Fons and Porters gloves but they are nubby only on one side.

Carolyn, I hadn't heard of the grab a roos. Will have to check them out.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 150 Contributor
588 Posts
Points 10,165

I had not made it out the door yet, I read your note and I too have short fingers so I went on and ordered a pair.

If these don't work for me I will know who to send them to :)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,541 Posts
Points 46,765

Machingers, definitely!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355

Machingers. Worth every penny. I love mine.

Denise Smart

Top 150 Contributor
Female
655 Posts
Points 16,585

I like the Fons & Porter -- I use the medium (blue) and they fit well.  I also have a pair of Machiners and I don't like them as well.  They grip the fabric as well as the F&P, but the cuff is too tight on my wrists, especially in hot weather -- I sweat under the cuff.  The advantage of the Machiners is they work on either hand, whereas I can't tell you the number of times I've tried to put the F&P on the wrong hand!    I just put the Grabaroos in my Amazon shopping cart -- they don't have a cuff so they look like the kind I could use. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,021 Posts
Points 15,585
weezee56 replied on Tue, Dec 17 2013 11:50 PM

I like the Fons n Porter gloves. I can't stand anything tight around my wrists.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
119 Posts
Points 2,225

I have the Fons and Porter gloves. They work okay, however, my finger nails have poked holes in both middle fingers and I have to sew them closed. Not pleased about that.

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use