Routine sewing machine maintenance

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
63 Posts
Points 1,240
Sherry posted on Sun, Dec 15 2013 8:14 PM

I am just wondering how many people routinely have their sewing machines professionally cleaned and maintenance and how often.

sherry

• | Post Points: 125

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,334 Posts
Points 20,045

I know I need to take mine in, but I'm really nervous about doing it.  All the repair men around here that I've heard about are through bad reports from other people - not fixing the problem or creating new problems.  Also, they ALL have tremendous waits.  Like 6-8 weeks to get your machine back.  6-8 weeks + a lot of money + the worry that it will be worse when I get it back has me super-nervous.  But I definitely need to, as I'm starting to have some problems and a couple things have broken on my machine.  :(

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Dec 18 2013 2:39 AM

I have mine done at least once a year.   If it is one that I use daily I take it in every 6 months.   Since we aren't able to get to the "insides" of machines anymore I want to make sure all the nubbies are cleaned out of the system and everything gets oiled as needed.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Dec 18 2013 2:44 AM

Most new machines don't have oil ports.   However with professional maintenance they take the outside of the machine off and clean out all those places we can't get to and add oil to all the places that need lubrication.   I think it is a real shame that they started using self lubricating gears on everything.  Now we can't take care of our own machines except for the bobbin race.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use