Routine sewing machine maintenance

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
65 Posts
Points 1,295
Sherry posted on Sun, Dec 15 2013 8:14 PM

I am just wondering how many people routinely have their sewing machines professionally cleaned and maintenance and how often.

sherry

• | Post Points: 125

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
456 Posts
Points 7,145
Mz M replied on Sun, Dec 15 2013 8:31 PM

once a year. the way I look at it paying for the cleaning and adjusting is an insurance policy. I have had my Brother Esante for about 17 years now with no major issues. I only use someone who has come to my attention by word of mouth as doing excellent work. and then I only take it to the same person - kinda like going to the Dr. - he/she gets to know your machine. Hope this answers your question.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,579 Posts
Points 139,858

I am of the persuasion, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." LOL. I clean my machine's bobbin area out of lint every time I use it. I have a machine that doesn't require oiling.

It wasn't always that way. I used to take it in ever six months, until one time I took it in and it came back with issues that it didn't have before. Fortunately it was something I could fix myself and led me to think of what I first posted.... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sun, Dec 15 2013 8:36 PM

once or twice a year depending on how much use it is getting.  i clean my bobbin area all the time

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

I'm supposed to take mine in for a clean-lube-adjust once a year, but at $85 a shot, I have been slack.  I keep my machine clean (no more canned air!) and give it the recommended one drop of oil with each bobbin change, and she's been running like a top!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
685 Posts
Points 11,770

I have had my machine for 8 years, I never thought about taking it in till someone told me I should. I am thinking of taking it in this year after I get My Christmas sewing done.  

Not Ranked
Female
10 Posts
Points 190

I never took my machine in for cleaning in the past, but I bought a new machine a few years ago and thought I would do what I am suppose to and did. All I can say, is if you don't, you don't know what you are missing! When I get mine back it's like a new machine. Just wanted to add......I sew every day.

Not Ranked
Female
10 Posts
Points 190

I never took my machine in for cleaning in the past, but I bought a new machine a few years ago and thought I would do what I am suppose to and did. All I can say, is if you don't, you don't know what you are missing! When I get mine back it's like a new machine. Just wanted to add......I sew every day.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,346 Posts
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Mon, Dec 16 2013 10:00 AM

I think the frequency of service calls can also depend on the machine. I use a Singer 20 U machine, professional or industrial machine. The workings are simple, no bells and whistles. I had an issue with it when I dropped the head while moving. I phoned a repairman and he stated that it was simple enough that if I had a mechanical minded person around he should be able to fix it. If not, he n=would make a house call. The reason I dropped the head only was that the weight was more than I could safely handle while trying to put it back into the motor stand and it dropped just a few inches but the way it dropped it hit the shaft and pushed it out of place. I managed to procure a repair manual and between my son and me we got it back to work. Now since then I purchased a new inexpensive machine to have for some applique work and back up. All the mechanisms are sealed and there is no way that if I were using it all the time I wouldn't have to take it in for service and cleaning. Sometimes you have to analyse your particular situation.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
65 Posts
Points 1,295
Sherry replied on Mon, Dec 16 2013 10:39 AM

Yeah, I guess I'll keep doing it, then. Here it costs around $100 and right now they will have it 4 weeks. It's the only sewing machine I have so I hate not having it for that long

sherry

Top 100 Contributor
Female
766 Posts
Points 10,049
Rhonnie replied on Mon, Dec 16 2013 11:14 AM

My dad does the cleaning about every 6 months on my older machines. He does though cleaning on my new machine. He says he wants to be sure I have them kept up so there isn't any problems. I will add yes I do clean them after most projects or once a month it goes with few other monthly chores. I will take my new machine in in Feb for its professional cleaning due to it keeps the value of exchange up....like that will happen lol. I know when my machines are clean they work sooo much better.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
766 Posts
Points 10,049
Rhonnie replied on Mon, Dec 16 2013 11:15 AM

You have to make dad feel needed even after you grow up :-)

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
896 Posts
Points 16,975

On my domestic machine, I clean the bobbin area every couple bobbin changes, more often if using a fabric that gives off a lot of lint. I've never thought about taking it to someone to be cleaned. What all do they do?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Mon, Dec 16 2013 11:53 AM

I think they take the outside off and clean everything and oil what needs to be oiled.  All those gears need lubrication.  Once he got a whole snarl of fluff and thread out of my tension gears.  My machine runs more smoothly after it comes back.   On e time, though the repairman broke something inside.  He was a new guy.  He thought it wasn't his problem so he lost my business for the next several decades.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, Dec 17 2013 9:05 AM

I've heard once a year.   Just took mine in after about 3 or 4 years.  Doing it sooner would have been better.  But last time I did a fancy stitch the poor little butterfly had one wing not attached.  The machine is back, running beautifully and wings attached.  I love my machine.

Before starting any new project I clean the bobbin area, change needles.  Check your manual for instructions.  Some don't want oil, or at least advise that oiling should be done by the professional.  My previous machines called for oiling periodically, which I did do.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use