This post has 15 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 518
Points 10,535
Carol from Pittsburgh Posted: Tue, Dec 10 2013 12:03 PM

I received an email today:

Old Country Store Fabrics Has Closed

After nearly four years of business, Old Country Store Fabrics has unexpectedly needed to close. 

We appreciate your patronage and apologize for any inconvenience this causes.  Thank you.

This was my new favorite online fabric store!  I was looking forward to shopping there when I visit Intercourse in the spring.  Just thought everyone who's shopped there might like to know.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 95
Points 1,740
Carmel replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 12:38 PM

I just received my email from them, I can't believe this, it is one of my favorite stores in Lancaster County.

I always buy from them on line and also visit every few months, it is only  a 45 minute drive for me.

Macungie, PA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,340
Points 38,910
Mimi replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 1:00 PM

I got the same email.  I was wondering  if it was just the on-line store or the store in Intercourse or both.  I wrote an email to them and I hope they will answer.  It is my favorite land store and I can't imagine that the actual store is closing.  It houses a quilt museum and sells all sorts of Amish goods.  I think possibly it's just the on-line store as the other one has been there a lot longer than 4 years.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 518
Points 10,535

I sure hope you're right, Mimi!  Their email didn't specify online only or both stores. Let us know if you get a reply.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,379
Points 24,090
Roxana replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 7:47 PM

I go the feeling it was both stores but I hope I am wrong.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 165
GLORIAF-6 replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 8:28 PM

Their website does not say anything about closing.

Gloria

Gloria from New York

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,340
Points 38,910
Mimi replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 8:31 PM

I just went to the Quilting Board and Missouri Star site and both are saying it's both the store and the on-line.  Oh what a shame.  It sounds as if there were financial problems but every time I was there it was loaded with customers.  Oh dear.  What dreadful news.  I hope some one can step in and rescue the place.  Not what I wanted to hear.  So sad.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 165
GLORIAF-6 replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 8:36 PM

Yes, I agree. We were planning our shopping trip for quit week in Lancaster, March.  Hopefully someone will take the store over.

Gloria from New York

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,340
Points 38,910
Mimi replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 8:47 PM

Here is a newspaper article about the closing and the people who owned the store.  Sorry I couldn't get it to link.

http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/929944_Intercourse-based-Good-Enterprises-closes-to-pursue-bankruptcy-liquidation-.html

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,379
Points 24,090
Roxana replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 9:05 PM

Mimi, it linked fine. Thanks for pointing us to the article. I've been to that store and have shopped online there often. I guess the bankruptcy court will sell what they currently had in stock. I hate it that that many employees lost their jobs.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,412
Points 62,115
Bonita replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 9:09 PM

I sure was sorry to get the e-mail today. I really liked the service and the quailty of fabric. I don't drink tea but I liked that they included tea bags in each order, gave them to my SIL.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 518
Points 10,535

Thanks for the info, Mimi. That is so disappointing, sad, awful.....

That was going to be the main shopping place when another QCA lady and I travel to the area in May.  I had big plans for big spending at that store!  Guess we'll find a few other places in which to spend money on great fabric.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,340
Points 38,910
Mimi replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 10:07 PM

Sauder's and Zook's are still in operation as far as I know.  Both of them are nice but not like Old Country Store.  They have both started a .com store so you could visit virtually before your trip if you decide to go there instead.  Another wonderful store is Ladyfinger's Sewing in Oley.  That one is owned by Gail Kessler but her son runs the fabric store.  She designs fabric for Andover.  She also has a .com with fairly good prices.  I visit every once in a while as it's about 35 - 45 minutes from my home.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Wed, Dec 11 2013 8:59 AM

Mimi, what's the story on lady fingers?  I was there about 15 years ago and it was called sommerhouse needle works.   It looks like they have the same designer/owner?

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 518
Points 10,535

Mimi:

Sauder's and Zook's are still in operation as far as I know.  Both of them are nice but not like Old Country Store.  They have both started a .com store so you could visit virtually before your trip if you decide to go there instead.  Another wonderful store is Ladyfinger's Sewing in Oley.  That one is owned by Gail Kessler but her son runs the fabric store.  She designs fabric for Andover.  She also has a .com with fairly good prices.  I visit every once in a while as it's about 35 - 45 minutes from my home.

Thanks for the recommendations, Mimi.  We'll check out all of them when we go there.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use