rated by 0 users
This post has 38 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 9:17 PM

Quiltless:
I remember somebody made wheel chair throws for nursing homes that had things on them to touch.  I sure would like to see those again.

Kath, if you go to my blog for Aug. 28, 2012, you will find the information on the "fidget quilts."  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 623
Points 10,745
zoetc49 replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 9:35 PM

Phyllis:

Do we have to renew in order to take part in the swaps?  If so, I'll renew, the swaps are about my favorite part.  I do love the forums, though, I don't contribute much but I sure do learn a lot from you quilters.

Nope, I am a free member and I am involved in swaps and such.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,882
Points 367,007
Kris replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 10:10 PM

Quiltless:
I miss the regulars in the general discussions.  I'm not in a group because I don't have those skills developed yet.

You should join a group to help develop those skills. There's lots to choose from. Samplers like "The Farmer's Wife", "The Loyal Union Sampler", "Sylvia's Bridal Sampler" and "Dear Jane" are great for learning new techniques since they have a little bit of everything. Skip the blocks you don't like or have trouble with. We offer tips and tricks to help get them done.

I look forward to seeing your throws.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 10:17 PM

MNnancy:

Quiltless:
I remember somebody made wheel chair throws for nursing homes that had things on them to touch.  I sure would like to see those again.

Kath, if you go to my blog for Aug. 28, 2012, you will find the information on the "fidget quilts."  

That's it!  Fidget quilts.  I will put that on my to-do list and hopefully get one made for Mom's next "care package."  I sent one in November and a lot of it didn't pass their nursing home safety "inspection."  The old fashioned candy was not allowed, the apple cotlets had nuts and were not allowed.  Both of those were allowed last year, but they have new administrators now.  But, some things did make it through.  I am working on her Christmas box now with cuddle fabric throws with embroidery. 

Thank you, Nancy.  Book-marked your blog --- very helpful and a great idea.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 10:38 PM

Kris:

Quiltless:
I miss the regulars in the general discussions.  I'm not in a group because I don't have those skills developed yet.

You should join a group to help develop those skills. There's lots to choose from. Samplers like "The Farmer's Wife", "The Loyal Union Sampler", "Sylvia's Bridal Sampler" and "Dear Jane" are great for learning new techniques since they have a little bit of everything. Skip the blocks you don't like or have trouble with. We offer tips and tricks to help get them done.

I look forward to seeing your throws.

Thank you, Kris.  I probably will join, but not just now.  My plate is too full.

Courage.  I don't have it yet and I need to get my skill level going a little bit more so i won't embarass myself before I dive in.  I've been watching what you ladies produce and it is daunting to someone who is just getting the hang of it.

Right now I'm trying to catch up on things I have already started.  Yet, I made another trip to Joann's tonight and spent another $75.  I have determined that the amount of time I spend in there is directly proportionate to how high my bill is going out the door.  There is a direct correlation.  I was just putting Christmas lights and their rose garland above my kitchen windows and needed a few more feet of garland.  I looked online and the local Joann's had it.  So, a trip to Joanns was in order. 

I came out of Joann's with 2 strings of the coveted garland, 2 more 2 yard pieces of cuddle fabric, two balls of crochet thread to do the serged edges and plans to do the state bird and flower embroidery on one corner of the white one, a heart motife on the red cashmere throw and an as yet undecided design on the third one.  Maybe just a pretty edge and her name in embroidery?  Anyway, now I have 3 more projects.  I still have not finished my apple designed placemats and napkins that I brought to Leavenworth!  (I've done the dozen napkins with rolled edges, but still have to do the placemats.)  I am working on 4 pads of rag quilts for couch covers because DH's Labrador sits on the couch with him when they watch their favorite shows.  The couch is leather and I used a blanket, but it looks ratty.  I also still have flannel to work on for another baby quilt, but that child is already 7 months old.  So, it needs to be toddler bed size.  I already made 6 fleece throws for others, a fabric book for my 2 year old granddaughter and several other items.  I also have two quilted pads pieced and sandwiched for the surfaces of my second quilting station.  So, I've been busy "producing" but I have almost nothing in the house to show for it.  As soon as I finish something it gets swallowed up in use or out the door as gifts.  I guess that's a good thing.  Nobody in my family sews but me.  Even though I've been retired for about 2 years, I have discovered that I have little time left in a day to actually be in my studio sewing. 

I am thankful that I am busy, happy, healthy and have my husband to distract me.  I am thankful I have the resources to do the things I am working on.  Still, I harbor dreams of doing artistic things with fiber and fabrics ... someday.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

Kath, Kris is right. You really should join some of the groups. You don't have to post any pics if you are to embarrassed. If you do post pics someone might be able to give you some help. You would have to ask for help because no one is going to make fun of your efforts.I have started quilting where you can actually see the quilting. It ain't purty, but that's how I learn. Hope to see you in a group soon.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Dec 11 2013 3:32 PM

Quiltless:

Kath, I know *exactly* how you feel...but pick up your courage and move on forward.  (Your an attorney after all, you have to have more courage than I can even imagine!)

My first little secret is that I have had a lot of trouble piecing - that perfect quarter inch seam still eludes me most of the time and points of triangles?...I try, but frequently cut them off.  Two years ago, after admiring all the spectacular quilts on here, I decided if they could do it, so could I...with practice.  I wanted to make quilts like they did!!!

My second little secret is that I was doing landscape quilts (instead of piecing) because it is so "free-form" - no-one knows if that tree is a half-inch from where the pattern or picture says it should be.  After all, it is MY quilt, and I can make it just how I want it - slightly different.  And, to top it off, no corners to match up and no points to be cut-off!  I thought this was my answer for quilting, but it really was just my excuse.

I decided I would give myself one year (which has turned into two) without landscape quilts, to work on perfecting my piecing techniques.  I started with a scrappy 9- patch on the Scrap-Happys Group (hosted by Nana) and after all those little 9 patches, I did improve...not perfect, but much better.  I'm still working on improving my skills and I am currently doing a Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt...slowly and surely...not perfectly, but not too bad either.

Give yourself a break, and go for it.  Everything worth doing takes practice and we all know quilting is worth it! 

Winthrop, WA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 602
Points 9,590
Joyce replied on Wed, Dec 11 2013 5:00 PM

Pat and ladies, I agree we just need to keep on practicing.  I'm about finished a large queen size quilt I started the top in 1999.  I don't like to quilt but I'm determined to learn to machine quilt.  So I did stitch in the ditch on the main pattern and then tried doing feathers (with the borders made easy) well queen of speed here could not follow those lines across so I have messed up feathers.  I watched the u tube and tried to fix my boo boo's and make fancy feathers.  lol They sure don't look like the ones on the video.  My borders are a dark green but a  lot of the inner part is white so I used white thread.  I don't have time to pick it all out.  But good news I learned my quilting thread colors should be better matched.  I got dark green thread for the borders and it looks great.  No more white thread on dark green and no feathers I did my own ziz around mad pattern and I love that part.  I think whoever I give it too (maybe my son) will love it anyway.  I've been hand stitching the back of the binding since before Thanksgiving and hope to finish it tonight.  Then I have another quilt to quilt for my DGD and pillow cases to make.    Haven't been on for a long time.  Family problems and a broken heart.  Please pray for us.  Hope you are all just fine.  I hope this helps when others think they make mistakes.

Joyce 

The Queen of mistakes

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,882
Points 367,007
Kris replied on Wed, Dec 11 2013 8:39 PM

Quiltless:
Thank you, Kris.  I probably will join, but not just now.  My plate is too full.

You sure do have a lot going on. We're always available in groups when you're ready.

Page 3 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use