Page 2 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 39 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,567
Points 30,544
Kelley replied on Mon, Mar 15 2010 8:04 PM

Thats great advise.. I just wish I made empty wall for that...lol.. walls and house are full...lol.. sewing room walls have windows and the other wall is lined with cabinets.lol.. Oh well .. maybe BF can make me something I can fold up when not in use....

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 255
cbrush777 replied on Mon, Mar 15 2010 10:41 PM

Where do you get the basting spray??

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Mon, Mar 15 2010 10:43 PM

cbrush777:

Where do you get the basting spray??

I bought mine at the local quilt store. I'll bet you can order it from Amazon, though. I use the 505 kind. (That's the name of it.)

Gillette, WY

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 589
Points 5,919
Bonnie replied on Tue, Mar 16 2010 12:46 AM

Judy lliff - I went to the web site you suggested and what an awesome site!!!  I have never been there before and got some good ideas for quilts.  I am sorta into rag quilts.  And I have a new accuquilt go with the rag dies (8 1/2" and 5 1/2") and am excited about some of the patterns I got.  Thanks for sharing that with us.  Also, the spray works really great too.  I got mine at walmart, june tailor brand.

Bonnie, NorCal

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

No offense Bonnie but I found that the June Tailor spray is cheaper but you have to use a lot more to get a good stick...I did suggest it in an earlier post but really 505 is the best for holding and lasting....

you can make a spray wall/design wall out of 2'x8' sheets of styrofoam insulation covered in polyester felt...it is light and you can just tape the sheets together to make it what every size you want and the wall is light and can be easily moved.

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Helly - thanks for the info on making a spray / design wall.  Guess a trip to Home Depot is in my future

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,929
Points 233,862
Thea replied on Tue, Mar 16 2010 12:20 PM

I used to have a problem with the backs moving and slipping and found that I just needed to take one more step in my sandwiching.

I would lay my back down and flatten it out - clip it to a board - or pin it to the floor - put the batting on it and the top... then I would baste it - basting first I would sew large stitches from the center out... then I used pins - to see if it would be easier - then finally I started using the basting spray (i use sullivans)...

but for me the step I would never take is to turn the sandwich over when i first started and make sure that there were no problems on the back - my top was always tight and smooth but my backing wasn't... and because I figured because I had pulled it taut that it would be fine. 

I now lay then backing down - I still clip it and I put the batting down and smooth it over - I fold the batting back and spray the backing (a little at a time) - I then smooth the batting over it... till the batting is all stuck down to the backing...

Here I now unclip the backing - turn it over - take it to my pressing table and smooth it out...

I then take it back to the board and clip it down again - lay the top down on it - smooth it out - fold it back in sections to the middle and work from the middle out spray and smoothing the top down - again I spray the top not the batting...

Again, I flip it over on my pressing table and make sure the back is still smooth - and then I go to my sewing maching and start quilting my quilt...

If I need to mark the quilt I do it at the time I am going to sew it...

But  I found that I needed to take that extra step to flip the quilt over - that no matter how careful I was I always had creases or folds on the back - now I don't have those anymore and my backings are as smooth as the tops.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

I can't use the spray because I have heart and lung disease. :o( and am on oxygen. I tried the spray and loved it but I can't inhale it. So I have to pin and pin. I have two 4' tables together and I tape the backing down and try to get it as tight as I can. Then I lay the batting on it and then the top. I start in the middle and I pin and pin outward. I roll up the quilt and as I'm rolling I'm looking for any tucks, puckers or extra fabric. Then I take the roll to the machine and quilt it that way. Wish I could use the spray!

And Judy you have the best links! Thanks so much for sharing these. I've made a new bookmark folder for QCA for all these great sites.

North of Boston MA

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,929
Points 233,862
Thea replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 11:58 AM

diane, I am sorry for your illness... I used to pin but trying to do that now and my hands make it through about 5 pins - then my skin starts ripping and it is a mess... I have RA and OA and my skin has become really thin.  I tried to work in my garden the day before the snow came and DH had to tell me to go in - i had garden gloves on but still blood was everywhere... we are buying me some real heavy duty ones now...

See each of us has our own way to deal with our own problems. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,107
Points 410,874
gini replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 12:10 PM

diane sharon schramber has a method on utube for basting a quilt with two base boards that looks easy.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjBGz5vGQ 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA&feature=related   this is the one   

gini

gini in north idaho

• Filed under:
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089
Helen Bell replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 12:26 PM

I don't clip or tape my backing down...I just lay it out smooth on my cutting table and then lay out the batting...fold up half the batting and spray the batting...smooth it back down and then do the other half the same...then I turn the whole quilt over and smooth the backing out...but I think the next time I do it I will lay the batting down first then spray it...then lay the backing on top...then you can see the wrinkle or anything in the backing...then turn the quilt over and spray down the top...everyone has their own way of sandwiching their quilt and all that matters is the end result...how you get there is what ever works for you..

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,929
Points 233,862
Thea replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 12:34 PM

Helly, you are so right!  I think each of us telling how we do it gives new quilters a chance to see what we do and pick the way they want to do it.

I didn't have a clue how to sandwich a quilt when I started - there wasn't anyone out there telling...teehee... they just said make a quilt sandwich as though I was supposed to understand. 

That is what I like about here - reading all the different ways people do it.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089
Helen Bell replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 12:52 PM

it really is amazing how many different ways there are to achieve one thing...lol...that is what I like about quilting...I can do it my way

Ontario, Canada

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

I love QCA. I have learned more in the 3 days that I've been here than what I've learned from books and videos over the past years. But now I feel like I don't know nothing at all! lol

Gini, thanks for the youTube link. I'm going to try that method. I like the fact that I can sit down and do it and the boards would definitely keep fabrics sandwiched. Next Home Depot run will be for me to get some 3" boards. I have two quilts that are pinned and I might take the pins out and do the boards and basting. Then I have 5 more tops that need to sandwiched. The UFO piles just keep getting bigger and bigger.

I have a feeling I'll be writing alot of thank you's for all the things I didn't know. I don't sign up for classes anymore because I never know how I will be that day so having this group is great for my being with other addicts and learning so much.

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 1:42 PM

Diane

I also have problems with signing up for classes due to health...I never know what the day may bring.  I am self-taught with alot of help from Alex Anderson and Fons and Porter with lots of books and magazines.  I also agree that the people on this site are awesome...the amount of knowledge that one can gain here is unbelievable.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 2 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use