rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
21 Posts
Points 550
Dani posted on Fri, Dec 6 2013 11:37 AM

Hello All,
I'm working on my first cheveron quilt using half square triangles to piece. (I saw Jenny Doan's tutorial on youtube and thought i'de give this method a try). Well...the blocks turned out very well, however, i've noticed, pressing the seams the way i normally do (to the dark side--if you like Star Wars this is a great reminder haha) they do not line up flat, and i'm getting some very bulky areas on my quilt top, I'm concerned this could be a problem when i start to top stitch? Any ideas on how to avoid this or is it common to run into this problem when dealing with these types of blocks? Thanks in advance!!!
-Dani

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 15,645

Hi Dani, Use some practice fabric and try pressing your seams open.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,395 Posts
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Fri, Dec 6 2013 9:05 PM

Hi Dani,  the rule about always pressing to the dark side, definitely does not work with all quilts.  The more complicated the quilt, the more difficult.  I never seem to get it right.   There are ways to deal with those bulky centers.  when I have several pieces meeting together, I often will press the seams all going clockwise or counter clockwise, and all the points then form a little star.  Sometimes to do this it works better if some of the seams are not sewn all the way to the edge, or if the last few stitches are taken out so that it can flatten.  I will try and find or make a tutorial with photos on this, and just reading about it is very confusing. 

I have had some patterns advise pressing the seams open where it would be too  bulky or distort bias edges, such as sewing a series of diamonds together.   I will see what I can find, unless someone else beats me to it.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,395 Posts
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Fri, Dec 6 2013 9:41 PM

Here's a tutorial.  It's for where 4 fabrics meet in one corner, which I usually don't worry about, but with a pinwheel, this technique really makes a difference.

http://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/cutting-corners/2011/5/10/tips-tricks-tools/

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Female
21 Posts
Points 550
Dani replied on Sat, Dec 7 2013 8:40 AM

This tutorial is wonderful!! Thank you so so much Patti!

Not Ranked
Female
21 Posts
Points 550
Dani replied on Sat, Dec 7 2013 8:41 AM

Weezee, I've never pressed them open before but i'll certainly practice it. I was told in my first quilt class that pressing open weakens the integrity of the quilt (it could pull apart easier). do you know if this is true?

Top 75 Contributor
1,497 Posts
Points 30,470
Diana replied on Sat, Dec 7 2013 10:53 AM

Daniel,  I was told years ago that the original reason to press to the dark side was because of the seam being sewn by hand.  It kept the seam from coming apart.  With the seams being done by machine, there's less chance of that happening if you press the seams open.  So, press them open if you need to.

Diana in East TN

Top 75 Contributor
1,497 Posts
Points 30,470
Diana replied on Sat, Dec 7 2013 10:55 AM

Dani,  Kindle is being testy today.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use