Top 10 Posters

handicap quilting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 95
cmw334 posted on Sun, Dec 1 2013 8:49 PM

I recently lost half my eyesight due to a stroke.  Does anyone have any suggestions to help me resume quilting?  Cynthia

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

I'm sorry to hear about your stroke.  I wish I had some advice for you.  I do want to welcome you to QCA.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,354 Posts
Points 414,909
gini replied on Mon, Dec 2 2013 12:33 AM

Welcome to the group.  Other than having very good bright lighting, I don't know what to recommend

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
589 Posts
Points 10,200

See if you can find a occupational therapist who can help you. That is what they learn to do, helping people use everyday things in a new way. See if your doctor can recommend one for you.

I am so sorry that has happen to you, is there any chance for your eyesight getting better?   

Top 500 Contributor
102 Posts
Points 1,520

Is that loss of vision in one eye or reduced vision in both?  There are lots of ways to quilt in either situation.  If your OT can't help you, ask quilters you know familiar with your situation or ask at your local quilt shop.  Brainstorming will help a lot.  We can help here as well with a little more information.

stitcheraz

Top 150 Contributor
Female
654 Posts
Points 12,395

Does any of the magnifying glasses that stand on the floor beside your machine, help? 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
160 Posts
Points 2,960

Cynthia,

If your vision loss relates to clarity, check with an opthamologist to see if prismatic lenses would be helpful.  If your loss is a field cut or neglect, a good occupational therapist should be able to help you find some creative solutions to let you get back to what you love.

If you can't find any of these rsources in your community, send me a friend request and I will send contact info.  I am a speech pathologist working in a regional medical center...with a staff of 14 OTs-I can certainly get ideas from them or possibly get a direct referral to someone close to you.

Hang in there!

Kathy G.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,333 Posts
Points 20,025

I don't have any suggestions to offer you, but wanted to welcome you to the group.

Raleigh, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,583 Posts
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Tue, Dec 3 2013 11:55 PM

Welcome cmw334...I don't have any suggestions, but hope someone in the group can help you.

Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 130

How about a "Buddy System" with a fellow quilter?  Hand quilting is slower, but very fulfilling.  Keep up the good work!     Diane

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use