Quilting w/my domestic sewing machine

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,139 Posts
Points 14,735
Dawn posted on Sat, Nov 30 2013 3:45 PM

I am just wondering a couple things . .  . walking foot?  . . . .  feed dogs down, right? and also, do you also put down the presser foot?  Thanks for any help!

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
794 Posts
Points 12,820

There are others with far more experience, but if you are quilting by sewing parallel straight lines, then use a walking foot with the feed dogs up and the presser foot down.

For stitch in the ditch, I either use an open toe foot -- or a lace edge foot -- where there is a straight guide on the toe of the foot.

If you are free motion quilting (FMQ), then you need:

1.  A flatbed sewing surface,

2.  Some kind of slick surface like Supreme Slider,

3.  Control over moving the fabric -- like a hoop, weighted ring, Machinger gloves or Neutragena hand moisturizer,

4.  A darning foot or free motion quilting foot (make sure you can see the needle) (open toe is best),

5.  Feed dogs down and

6.  Presser foot down -- but the foot generally will not rest on the fabric when the foot is completely down.  (My machine won't sew with the presser foot up.) 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,139 Posts
Points 14,735
Dawn replied on Sun, Dec 1 2013 4:16 PM

Thanks so much!  I want to do some echo quilting, so your reply is just what I needed to hear!  :-)

Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Points 1,830

You may not need to use your walking foot, depending on how your machine works.  I can echo quilt with my Baby Lock with my regular foot with no issues of fabric slipping, and the width of the foot gives me a great guide along the stitching.  Experiment with some scrap fabric and the batting you want to use...

stitcheraz

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use