rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 85
Maryetta posted on Sat, Nov 30 2013 12:41 PM

Hi All, 

i have a sister that lives in a tropical climate and would like to make a quilt for her. I normally use cotton fabric and batting but it appears to be too heavy for the temperature in Northern Queensland. I've seen baby quilts with just a back and front and no filling but they appear limp. Does anyone know what kind of batting or filler I could use that will keep the quilt light? Thanks, Maryetta

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
794 Posts
Points 12,820

I would think it is more important to use a natural fiber batting like cotton than to use anything with polyester.  Polyester cannot "breathe."  Comfort in the tropics is highly dependent on fabric that can wick away moisture from the body and breathe. 

If you are looking for a very light weight cotton batting, maybe a thin cotton blanket?  Again 100% cotton is important.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Sat, Nov 30 2013 12:54 PM

How about flannel instead of batting. The lightest flannel is the cheap stuff like from Joann's. Just be sure to wash it first because it will shrink more than your quilting fabric.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
794 Posts
Points 12,820
Top 100 Contributor
Female
794 Posts
Points 12,820

That's a good idea, Jacy;  flannel.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 85

Thank you for the ideas. Never thought of flannel. I will give it a try. Maryetta

Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 85

Thank you for the ideas. Never thought of flannel. I will give it a try. Maryetta

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,509 Posts
Points 417,494
gini replied on Sat, Nov 30 2013 11:49 PM

I made a summer quilt with two king sized sheets.    I appliquéd some large simple flowers on one, put the two together and sewed a large square around the center appliqué,  went out a couple of feet from the center square and sewed another larger rectangle sorta close to the outside of the sheets.  I appliquéd a  sawtooth border, did a blind hem around the edges.  I also picked out the large hems first.   We love this quilt in the summer time.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,607 Posts
Points 178,453
Marie replied on Sun, Dec 1 2013 9:44 AM

Gini, could we see a pic of this?

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,509 Posts
Points 417,494
gini replied on Sun, Dec 1 2013 10:02 AM

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,509 Posts
Points 417,494
gini replied on Sun, Dec 1 2013 10:06 AM

it is held together by a stitched square around the center motif, which i highlighted with embroidery and you can see here,  and another stitched line around the entire motif, then  the border was applique on.   there is not a lot of stitching holding these two sheets together, but is enough.   these are high thread count sheets in a king size. no batting, just two sheets.   it has a wonderful drape and feel to it.  i had to dig this out of storage, just for you marie.   it has long been put away, we are in the middle of a blizzard.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 85

I just love your summer quilt and now I have some ideas for a summer bed quilt. As for my original question, I think I will just do the sheet like you did only I will use smaller appliqués, flowers most likely. The quilt is the MQ9 and I'm thinking of putting the flowers in the center of the diamonds. Fortunately, it will be a gift in 2015 when I visit Australia. The good news, it will be lighter to carry, the bad news, I get to take all the pins out of the quilt that I put in for quilting and I get to do it again with the sheet!  Maryetta

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,607 Posts
Points 178,453
Marie replied on Sun, Dec 1 2013 11:31 PM

Very nice Gini, great idea.  Your appliqué is very pretty, good job as usual.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,607 Posts
Points 178,453
Marie replied on Sun, Dec 1 2013 11:38 PM

By the way, thanks for getting it out of storage for me, Gini, I appreciate it.  

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use