I need suggestions for making this quilt

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 591
Points 10,240
zoetc49 Posted: Fri, Nov 29 2013 9:37 PM

I bought this stain glass cross fabric and I bought 3 yards of it. a total of 108" x 48" wide. I want to make a queen quilt for a friend with this. I showed her the fabric and all we can think of doing is just adding a dark gray piece of fabric to the sides and a black piece.

What else can you come up with? The crosses are about 5 inch tall and 3 wide.      

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Christian-Church-Stained-Glass-Crosses-Black-100-Cotton-Quilting-Fabric-44-BTY-/380751193173?pt=US_Fabric&hash=item58a68a2455

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,497
Points 30,470
Diana replied on Sat, Nov 30 2013 7:10 AM

I've been looking and thinking.  There's a set of rulers for 10" blocks where you can make it look like a crazy quilt.  What about using same colors as in the crosses and put that between the black and grey borders?  If you wanted, you could even cut off some of your crosses fabric, put borders all around and put some of the crosses within the above mentioned pieced border.  Just my thoughts.

Diana in East TN

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 591
Points 10,240
zoetc49 replied on Sat, Nov 30 2013 8:43 AM

That is a good idea. When I put the fabric to any colors it takes away from the crosses. I pick up a simple quilt program last night and played with that and came up with one idea, to do a box with the triangles on the side - not sure the name of the block. I could either cut out the crosses or just sew them as the inside block.  The girl I am going to make this for said she likes the fabric just as it is, but to me it just seems like I can do something more for it. 

Keep the ideas coming. 

I could also just do a black and gray border of different designs. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 591
Points 10,240
zoetc49 replied on Sat, Nov 30 2013 8:52 PM

I figured it out, well actually someone I ran into when I went to JoAnn's today. She suggested that I enlarge the cross pattern and make a large stain glass cross for the top of the bed and then use the fabric to go around it. So that is what I will do. I will post when I get the top done..it will be after Christmas though.  

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use