Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,940
Points 125,340
Judy T-Bellingham Posted: Sun, Nov 24 2013 4:10 PM

Has anyone used one of these? I tried one of those plastic handle grips that suction to the ruler and it just wouldn't grip consistently.

My sister just bought the Quilter Slidelock and loves it. The 24" size is a bit pricey, $45.00 so I'm holding off. But she said it's so nice, doesn't slip and she doesn't have to put alot of pressure.

http://quiltersslidelock.com/purchase/

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Points 2,165

I had trouble with my plastic handle grip until someone told me to "spit on the suction cups"... Wiping with a wet sponge had the same effect and they stay stuck much longer.  When they quit after a couple of weeks (or days) depending on the weather, I just swipe again and it's back in business.  $45 is too steep for me...

stitcheraz

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,940
Points 125,340

stitcheraz:
I had trouble with my plastic handle grip until someone told me to "spit on the suction cups"...

I was told the same thing. Didn't work. I sent it back and received a new one. It didn't work either. This was a few years ago so they may have improved by now.

I'd love one of the Quilter Slidelock's but won't spend the money. I can see where it would be really valuable for someone with arthritis and/or unable to put pressure on the ruler to keep it straight.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

$45 is pretty pricey. I have had good luck with the Invisgrip film you apply to rulers. Have you considered Grip Strips? It looks like it uses the same principle as the slidelock but for only $8.95

http://www.guidelines4quilting.com/GripStrips.html

Denise Smart

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,940
Points 125,340

Denise, I did try Invisgrip with so so results. I've tried those little round sandpaper stick on's also. 

If I focus and walk my fingers up the ruler as I cut, I have reasonably good results. Only slide around every now and then. When my sister comes up to visit this summer she's going to bring her Slidelock for me to try. So far she loves it.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Nov 24 2013 9:48 PM

Judy, why wouldn't the 14" slidelock work on a 24" ruler?  I don't know why you'd need the gripper to be so long.

By the way, is your plastic handle grip a purple Gypsy Gripper or a cheaper version from Harbor Freight or elsewhere - sold as a shower grip handle?  My Gypsy Gripper attaches firmly.  The cheaper version needs resticking all the time - even with the use of spit!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,919
Points 41,040
ls2116 replied on Sun, Nov 24 2013 11:38 PM

I went to a quilt shop and seen they cut the fabric with the aid of one of these, but I'm still cutting my fabric the shape cut.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,940
Points 125,340

It was the Gypsy Gripper. I was told they had a bad batch a few years ago. Our quilt shop uses one and it works fine. They couldn't get either of mine to work no matter what they did.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use