Fabric paint with applique

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
101 Posts
Points 1,615
Janice D. Green posted on Wed, Nov 20 2013 5:09 PM

I want to use fabric paint with my appliqued Bible story picture blocks. Before I invest in the paints/dyes, I would like to know what others have tried and what works best with quilts.

Janice 

Bible Quilts, www.biblequilts.com

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,837 Posts
Points 123,680

Janice D. Green:

I want to use fabric paint with my appliqued Bible story picture blocks. Before I invest in the paints/dyes, I would like to know what others have tried and what works best with quilts.

Janice, I used to paint on fabric. I used the acrylic craft paint by such makers as DecoArt and a clear additive made especially for painting on fabric. Available at any crafts outlet, Joann's Michaels etc.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
101 Posts
Points 1,615

I found my old notes that I had been looking for from a lesson at a quilt guild meeting once. The paints I was trying to remember were Tsukineko and Setacolor. Has anyone used these before?

Janice 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,509 Posts
Points 417,494
gini replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 8:23 PM

janice i've used several products, but i can't remember the names.    everything i've used that is made for fabric has worked well.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
5,109 Posts
Points 109,590

I've used setacolor solar reactive paint. It's fun, but i am not sure I'd use it in an environment where I wanted it to stay put and not bleed. Think you can read a tut on it at Dharma Trading co.  For that matter they might have a tut on what you are using!  Good Luck

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,579 Posts
Points 139,858

Hi Janice,

I personally like the jacquard dye paints. You can mix them to come up with any color you want. They're water based, no chemical mixing. You can have them intense or water them down and make a wash of color. To set the colors, all you have to do is let them dry and press them with an iron. I've used them on silk ribbon, cotton and wool, and the thing I like best is that they still leave a wonderful hand of fabric. Not stiff or "painted" looking. The only thing is if you are trying to keep a sharp image you may want to use a resist product so it doesn't bleed into other areas or start back enough so that the "bleed" just reaches the line that you want it to. Dry brushing, where you would blot off onto a paper towel will create some nice results as well.

You may just have to play with different things and find what works best for you. There is a product called Retayne that you may want to check into as well. It helps keep dyes, colors from fading as you wash them.

Hope this helps and all the best in your journey of working with your project. certainly a worthy one. :0)     

Top 500 Contributor
Female
101 Posts
Points 1,615

I didn't know about the solar technique with Setacolor so I Googled it. I think that might be a nice plus for Setacolor, though my initial intent is to come up with fabric designs that I can't find as I shop for fabrics. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Janice 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
101 Posts
Points 1,615

Thank you Stephanie for your suggestion. I will look at Jacquard before I make my purchase.

Janice 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use