Hello from a Texas newbie

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 801
Points 16,020
Sue replied on Fri, Nov 15 2013 6:31 PM

GRB stands for the George R Brown Convention Center, located in Houston.  Quilt International is there the last weekend of Oct every year.  Attended by Thousands!

So I got back to Livingston about a hour ago, after a hot shower DH put dinner on the table.  Sis has stopped eating so she only has 2 weeks left, maybe.  The cancer will win.  She is ready as she has told me many times.  I sure wish I could have stayed with her longer, but Monday is a Dr I have waited 3 months to see.  I also had a super wonderful visit with my Uncle in Calif.  He has beaten the cancer and is well on the way to a normal life again.

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 54
Points 885
txsueh replied on Sat, Nov 16 2013 1:31 PM

Sue:

GRB stands for the George R Brown Convention Center, located in Houston.  Quilt International is there the last weekend of Oct every year.  Attended by Thousands!

Well, duh!  Should have known that.  I have gone to the Houston International Quilt Festival and sometimes Market for many years.  Thanks.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Sun, Nov 17 2013 11:26 AM

Welcome welcome to txsue and Diane, I think that is 4 new from our great state.
Everyone is very helpful on the site, and new people are always welcome to share what they know and love. 

Hope you all have a fun time getting to visit all the groups here, Maybe we do need a Texas group.. LOL

As we have the biggest state , we should have the biggest group of crafty people, we over load the site with Southern Comfort and friendliness. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 668
Points 12,750

Welcome to all our new Texas members!  I am thinking we should have a quilt retreat here in Texas during the spring when the wild flowers are in bloom! What a great time to be quilting and what inspiration. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 801
Points 16,020
Sue replied on Thu, Dec 5 2013 6:44 PM

Sounds like a great idea Michelle!  Somewhere in the central east part of the state?  I'm in!

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 668
Points 12,750

Now we only need a few places to look for quilt retreats. We've been to the one in Kerrville! Fabulous! Also a wonderful one in the hill country close to Fredricksburg, and I think Debbie-do says there is one on I-10 between houston and San Antonio.  I'm sure there are more? Any suggestions how to set this up from all those experienced quilt retreat hosts? 

Michelle B

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Dec 5 2013 10:19 PM

Remember that there are QCA members here just drooling to come to a Texas retreat, so don't cross off locations too quickly.  If you liked them and you think they could accomodate 20 or so quilters, I'll bet you'll get participants from all over the country!  Would love the chance to see the Texas bluebells in the spring!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 668
Points 12,750

Good Morning MNancy, I can scout out a few places if anyone would be interested? 

Michelle B

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,572
Points 47,370

www.valleyranchretreat.com

These folks have been at the last couple of quilt shows I've been to.  They've recently enhanced the retreat facility to house more people.  It's kind of in the middle of nowhere and a shop hop to San Antonio would definitely be an all day trip.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 668
Points 12,750

Debbie, Looks beautiful but I can't see how many bedrooms they have or any info on prices? Guess we have to call and ask? It is lovely but very far out of town. Closer to the Kerrville quilt store and the ones close to 1604 would be at least 1 1/2 hours from there it looks like?  

Michelle B

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 1,975
WeeOne replied on Mon, Dec 9 2013 9:48 AM

Welcome Diane!

I'm a winter Texan, Motorhome parked in Aransas Pass, from October to mid April. Do you ladies that attend the Houston show meet up with each other? I also am on the Quilt in a Day (QIAD) forum and a bunch of us meet at lunch time for a quick hello and put a name to a face. It's a lot of fun.

A retreat sounds fun and Michelle has already mentioned my favorite place, Kerrville.

Lyn

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 668
Points 12,750

Lyn, we have a few of us that have gotten together from this site. Still working on getting a day together that we could sew, maybe meeting once a month or so. We're also looking for a place maybe that allows sewing one night a week? 

Michelle B

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,572
Points 47,370
Debbie-do replied on Wed, Dec 11 2013 12:23 PM

Michelle, they keep making changes to their web site.  Last time I was on it there was lots of info about lodging and what they offer.  This time, not so much. I'm pretty sure they can sleep about 30 and they told me we could do our own cooking or use one of the meal plans.  She was excited at the possibility of  having us do a retreat there in the spring when we talked in August (I think).  Info may be a phone call or email away.  I believe there is a small quilt shop on site as well.

Google says Kerrville is 1 hour 50 minutes, downtown San Antonio is 2 hours.  Prettier drive to Kerrville and we could always swing down to Bandera and go to Gone Quiltin.  The shop in Castroville is closing.

Southwest of San Antonio

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use