Top 10 Posters

New Mom, First-Time Quilter - Help with Fabric Pens??

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 50
sjbabe5 Posted: Fri, Nov 8 2013 11:44 AM

Hey everyone! 

I am a new mom who is a little in over her head. :) When I was pregnant with my now-6-mo baby, I had the idea to make her a special quilt that my father called a "generations blanket."  It was kind of a big undertaking for a first quilt, but it was important to me - especially as my father passed away a few weeks after my daughter was born. 

I have collected items from each of our daughter's grandparents as well as several of THEIR parents (plus items from my husband, myself, and her hospital blanket) and sewed them together (hence, the "generations!"). Now that I have finished the top, I am a little stuck. My main purpose in joining this club is to get some help from experienced quilters regarding the labeling of the items on the quilt. 

I know this is supposed to introduce me, but I'm going to share my question anyway. :) I want to write the information regarding each of her ancestors on the back of the quilt so she knows which blocks belong to whom. So my big question is:

Which fabric pens are best for quilting? I need something that will not fade, not  become discolored, not bleed, and withstand some washing (obviously, the less I wash it, the more lasting any ink will be, so I plan to treat the quilt more like an heirloom than a cuddly-play-and-spit-up type of every-day item). 

I've read many reviews online but am seeing a lot of contradicting/inconclusive information. Help? 

Thank you for any advice!

Ps. I've looked into embroidery, but it isn't really an option cost-wise for me. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Fri, Nov 8 2013 12:11 PM

I like the micron pens.  They come in many colors and are available at most quilt shops and all Joann's and Hancock fabric stores.  They are ultra fine, and do not bleed or fade.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

The Micron pigma pen is archival ink and safe to use on fabric. You can find it in any hobby store like Jo anns or Hobby Lobby. I always set the ink with a hot iron for about 10 seconds before I wash the quilt the first time.

Denise Smart

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Fri, Nov 8 2013 1:11 PM

Hi sjbabe, welcome to the group.  I use the micron pigma pens, too.  They come in a variety of sizes, the points.  I don't like the smallest.   get some fine grit sandpaper, put your fabric, you are writing on,  over the sandpaper.  This will hold your fabric steady while you write on it.   You can also iron freezer paper to the back side of the fabric you are writing on.  These help stabilize the fabric so it doesn't shift while you are writing on it.     It sounds like a wonderful project.  I would love to see a picture when you are finished.    

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Fri, Nov 8 2013 1:11 PM

Hi sjbabe, welcome to the group.  I use the micron pigma pens, too.  They come in a variety of sizes, the points.  I don't like the smallest.   get some fine grit sandpaper, put your fabric, you are writing on,  over the sandpaper.  This will hold your fabric steady while you write on it.   You can also iron freezer paper to the back side of the fabric you are writing on.  These help stabilize the fabric so it doesn't shift while you are writing on it.     It sounds like a wonderful project.  I would love to see a picture when you are finished.    

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022

Hi sjbabe,  the micron pens are great

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,736
Points 364,792
Kris replied on Fri, Nov 8 2013 6:22 PM

Welcome to QQA. I use Pigma pens as well. Have you done any hand embroidery? You could go over the writing with a strand or two of floss. That would be an inexpensive option.

Sharpies are permanent as well. They come in very fine points.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use