Top 10 Posters

What size quilt is common?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 365
Jolyn posted on Tue, Nov 5 2013 6:42 PM

Hello all! I'm new to quilting and ready to take on my first "serious" project! The 2 quilts I've made were baby sized and I don't want to jump straight to a king sized quilt, but I want to make something usable. What size would be a good size to start with? Twin size? Something that's like a throw? What's the most common size, if that's even a valid question?

Thanks, in advance, for your help! :)

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,544 Posts
Points 417,019
gini replied on Tue, Nov 5 2013 9:13 PM

Hi jolyn,  there is no common size.  Whatever you want to do is the right size.  I think it's a good idea to start with something smaller, like a throw.  I don't usually start thinking about the size of a quilt.  I see a pattern I like or get tempted by a mystery quilt and away I go.  If the quilt isn't big enough when I get the pattern done, I add more blocks or more borders to get to the size I might want.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,246 Posts
Points 19,420

Hi Jolyn. I found this size chart. Maybe it will help you.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,246 Posts
Points 19,420

Sorry it is too small.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

Do NOT get caught up with enthusiasm and make a (nana!!) king size quilt. I have done two. One I quilted on my sewing machine.  Madness. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,579 Posts
Points 139,858

My very first quilt was a king size, and by hand. LOL.

Lots of lessons along the way, especially being on this site. I don't think there is a common size.You should just go where the experience takes you. You'll see patterns you love, or maybe it'll be for someone you love. There are lots of people here to help along the way.

The best advice I could give you is, and especially, if you are on a budget, find a pattern you love and buy your fabrics accordingly. Buy threads to match at that time. As much as we all love our stashes of fabric, we all have some we will never use in this lifetime.

Fabrics have a pretty rapid turnover now a days, and if you don't have enough in you stash when you find a pattern you'd love to use it for, you may not be able to find it.... I keep the pattern, and the fabrics in project boxes together so when I'm ready, so are they....

The most important thing is, whether it be a quilted pillow, an art quilt, lap quilt, twin, queen of king is that you enjoy the making of it and have fun......

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 365
Jolyn replied on Wed, Nov 6 2013 11:02 PM

Thank you all! 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use