Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530
Melissa Halpain Posted: Mon, Nov 4 2013 1:53 PM

I am in Depoe Bay, Or for the week. For any of you that are familiar with the area, where are the good quilt shops. We are resting today as my sister isn't feeling well, but tomorrow I would like to visit them. Thank you for any information you all may have.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Mon, Nov 4 2013 5:09 PM

There are only 2 that I know of, Quilter's Cove in Newport (which was a disappointment to our group for fabric, but had lots and lots of nice patterns), and Quilter's Cottage in Toledo.  This was a nice shop and very friendly.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Nov 4 2013 8:54 PM

Karla didn't say that both of those shops were VERY small, limited fabrics.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Well today we took a trip to Tallimook. On the way we stopped at a little quilt shop called BJ's. I cannot believe how much fabric in that little tiny space. I lived it. It was so cute. Then in Tallimook we went to Latimer quilt school. They teach looming an yarn making along with quilting. It was so educational and informative.  Have any of you gone to them? I loved both of them.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Nov 6 2013 6:58 AM

How far was that from Lincoln City and Newport?  That's where the recent retreat was.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Wed, Nov 6 2013 8:27 AM

May have to drive the Oregon coast next year from Tillamook south and stop at that quilt shop.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Wed, Nov 6 2013 8:32 AM

Will also have to go to the quilt museum and school. 

http://latimerquiltandtextile.com/

Thanks for the info Melissa.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

It took us about 20 minutes to BJ's and about 45 minutes toTallimook cheese factory. I'm with my sister and her DH and my father. My step mother used to quilt so my father is the one that told me about it. I just loved both of them. The woman working at Latimer is from the same area as I grew up in California. Its a small world. I'm so looking forward to the retreat next year.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Nov 6 2013 1:42 PM

Melissa Halpain:

It took us about 20 minutes to BJ's and about 45 minutes toTallimook cheese factory. I'm with my sister and her DH and my father. My step mother used to quilt so my father is the one that told me about it. I just loved both of them. The woman working at Latimer is from the same area as I grew up in California. Its a small world. I'm so looking forward to the retreat next year.

Melissa, where were you staying that these times were from?  The Retreat location is in Gleneden Beach which is south of Lincoln City, so you really need to factor traffic (and possibly weather) into travel times heading north of Lincoln City.  BJ's would be about 30 miles and downtown Tillamook about 55 miles.  Another thought: I believe the Latimer Museum and the Tillamook Cheese Factory are both north of Tillamook so time required there too.  

These are both great ideas for an excursion day for next year!  I would love to visit that museum!  But, it probably would take most of the day for traveling (both ways), shopping and the museum...and the Cheese Factory?

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Wed, Nov 6 2013 2:25 PM

Donna B:
Melissa, where were you staying that these times were from?  The Retreat location is in Gleneden Beach which is south of Lincoln City, so you really need to factor traffic (and possibly weather) into travel times heading north of Lincoln City.  BJ's would be about 30 miles and downtown Tillamook about 55 miles.

Google maps says BJ's is 38 mins from Gleneden beach, The museum 1 hr 14 mins. Both are the same direction(North) so it would make a nice excursion next year.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Donna and Jacy, too funny. I got those time frames from my DBL and my father. I should know better than to rely on them. Since I wasn't driving, my sense of time was a little off. Anyway it is a great day trip.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

The two easy ways to find show care to use www.quiltinghub.com or the quilt shop navigator.  QuiltingHub show the date last visited, so it is more accurate.  QuiltingHub also has a quilting events search including sales, classes, shop hops and shows.  Another feature is you can quilt shops along your travel route.  All three area easily done on the home page.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use