Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 29 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,785
Jenia Posted: Wed, Oct 30 2013 2:50 PM

Are we crazy?  I fell in love with a shelter photo of a dog and my partner, Jim, is now driving cross country and back to bring her home to me.

What a wonderful man I have and what a great thing he is doing for us.

Or are we just insane?  I know there are local dogs that need help too, but look at those eyes!  They look so much like my dear departed Pointer, Pearl.  I'm hoping her personality allows us to call her Opal, the shelter named her Juanita, but it's not her given name.

We actually have a little bit of spending money now and we have 3 acres and a large 5 bedroom home.  We will give her a good life for sure.  We already have 3 happy healthy dogs (1 is elderly) and a cat, but we have a lot of love to give.  Jim is retired so he's home most days while I work, it's really a good life for a pet in our house.

What do you think?  Crazy or just smitten?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 535
Points 9,320
zoetc49 replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 3:16 PM

Not crazy !!

I live 3 states away from my Mom. Four years ago when both she and I had lost our older dogs a few months apart i decided to go get another dog and she calls me up and tells me which one out of the litter she wanted. So i picked her up one and I got one. We met half way a week later. Then 6 months later she called me up and said she needed a play mate for this one. So they traveled again half way, but this time when I thought we had the dog for her I decided that one had way too many health issues. So they were close by and I was hurriedly  looking for a puppy. We had tornadoes touching down close by to where i was and I am on the phone calling everywhere looking for a male Border Collie. I found one at the shelter and he was perfect. The only thing was they had to stay in town fora week as the puppy had to get fixed and shots.

So do I think your crazy going after a cute girl that needs a wonderful home? Nope. She is going to have a wonderful home. She sure is pretty !!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,824
Points 352,487
Kris replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 3:31 PM

It's never crazy to give a pet a loving home. WTG Jenia.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,785
Jenia replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 3:32 PM

ha - hooray we aren't the only ones!

Thank you for your vote of confidence and sharing your story.

Jim will be dealing with the big weather system that's in Texas right now.  I hope he can get through it without too much trouble.  I hope it doesn't follow him all the way there and back!  I don't think there's any tornadoes involved, least I hope not.

She is precious and I couldn't help but fall in love.  I never dreamed she would still be available when I wrote to the shelter.  Originally we were going to meet half way, but that easily turned into us going all the way.  I'm surprised they are letting us take her without the spay, but we did sign a paper to have it done by our vet which we always do.  She does have all her shots, so hopefully no health troubles.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,005
Sandy replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 4:48 PM

A thumbs up from me on giving a pet a home, we drove 2 and a half hours tp pick up our third kitty :)  he is an all black cat.  And siting here with me now.  :)  

have fun with her :) 

Sandy

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 4:49 PM

I have two rescue dogs right now, and almost picked up a 3rd this past weekend, but my DH made me see the light that our home is just not big enough for another big dog.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,785
Jenia replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 4:59 PM

Yes, we have had 4 before so we do know our limits.  However we haven't done it with a cat before, should be fine.  The house is a large 5 bedroom with 3 acres so lots of room for them all.

You know you said another big dog, I take it there's room for a small one, haha.  (she says teasingly)

We do so much love them all. 

Kudos to you all as well for being such wonderful pet parents. 

Only one of ours (the oldest Jack Russell) wasn't a rescue.  I honestly think the rescues do know what you are doing for them and they do treat you with so much love in return.  It's impossible not to open your heart to them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 535
Points 9,320
zoetc49 replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 5:35 PM

Jenia,

I'm in Texas. The storm is to be worst in the west, so if you all have to - stay the night and avoid it if your headed that direction.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 130
grich replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 6:25 PM

Not crazy at all.  A few years ago, we traveled 12 hours each way to bring ours home.  For the unconditional love we received from him, we would do it again in a heartbeat.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,391
Points 19,285

For those of us who have animals, I don't think any of us think that's crazy. We have three dogs and they would have all been rescues had we not taken them in. Next time we get another one, it will certainly be a rescue that we have to bail them out. heehee Your's is adorable. Enjoy!

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 9:18 PM

Jenia

I think she is precious.  I know she will have a good home.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,785
Jenia replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 9:43 PM

Thank you all for the encouagement.  I'm so glad to hear we aren't the only ones.

He just hit weather east of Dallas but wants to get thru Dallas before stopping for the night because of morning traffic tomorrow.  

I sure wish I could have gone with him, so we could have shared the driving.  But I still work and I'm stuck at home waiting for the new baby delivery!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 535
Points 9,320
zoetc49 replied on Thu, Oct 31 2013 12:15 AM

I'm not far from Dallas, where is he headed to pick up your baby? 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,785
Jenia replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 2:28 PM

I took a photo of my text message, because my dumb phone won't post to internet. It's kind of distorted but here's the new baby. Opal works for the name, Jim says she's as sweet as our (deceased) Pointer, Pearl, so a real gem!

He thinks she's younger than they said, has large paws but still only about 30 pounds, he thinks she will grow to be hunting dog size as we thought.  I believe her to be an English Pointer mix.  Pearl was German Shorthair Pointer, and I have had 2 pointers in my life Pinto and Pearl, love the breed!  Pinto was mix; Pearl purebred but not registered they were both wonderful kids.  So when I saw Opal's picture, I just melted.

She's been snuggling and hugging on Jim and slept with her head in his lap on the ride to the hotel near Columbia South Carolina.

They are getting acquainted, resting up, and waiting out the storm before heading west. Meet the new doggy lottery winner, Opal, soon to be very spoiled and already very loved.  I can't wait to hug her too!

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 2:40 PM

Very cute.  I bet she is a snuggle bug and very lovable.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use